Re: More brainstorming

From: dkaardal <dkaardal_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 21:39:40 -0000

hello all - I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to net epic.

I used to play 2nd ed. space marine years ago, but I just got back
into it - thanks mainly to netepic.... but I do have some issues with
the rules, and the post I'm replying to comments on one of them.

> 2. Titans versus non-titan/praetorian units in close combat

I actually have a huge problem with the fact that you CAN'T swarm
titans with infantry.

I mean, it does make a certain amount of sense that you can hurt
something with infantry. A well-places satchel charge, or grenades,
or whatnot... I mean, if the person taking the titan is

a: not smart enough to take an anti-personal weapon and
b: doesnt want to give the titan a screen of his own infantry,

then he deserves to loose his titan. They are NOT invincible..
they're just really tough tanks. That's all. If a modern tank doesnt
have an antipersonal machine gun or something, it get's killed by
infantry.

The current rules make it impossible for infantry to take out a
titan. Period. Stands having to make saves from titans "free"
antipersonal weapons, THEN not being able to add to each others
scores in combat? forget it. One titan VS 100 marine tactical
companies? the titan would just have to wash the blood off afterwards.

Titans are the ultimate anti-tank weapon platforms.. but unless you
buy antipersonal weapons, you SHOULD be able to be taken down with
infantry. That's one of the JOBS of infantry. Granted, it's not going
to be cheap... even in the old rules it was going to cost you.

The original rules were fine - you had to think about your titan, and
protect it like you protect any other resource you had. They were not
unstopable, they were just damned tough.

all you had to do was make sure it had some anti-infantry weapons. If
there was a need to change any rule, then I'd make special anti-
infantry weapons that take a weapon mount, but always fired at
infantry on the first fire phase. That way if you DIDNT buy one, you
had no one else to blame. Make something like this available to every
race.

Donovan