RE: [NetEpic ML] Deathstrike question

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:09:59 +0300

Nope not arbitrary, see below.

> in the original rules, they were just like any other artillery. you
> fired them, and resolved as normal. Why give people a chance to fire
> at them at all? I mean, sure, the warheads are pretty powerful... but
> you only GET 3 shots, and it's a garaunteed cost of 250 points!
>
> That's true. I once had the idea to give them a range of
> something like
> 100cm-150 cm, one shot and could be shot down by AA capable units only
> at a penalty (-1 or -2). 250 points is a lot for a one shot so
> eliminating all the fiddly rules and treating it more like a regular
> battery sounds good.

In the old rules they were definetely not like any other artillery, but far more unpredictable:

 <quote> When the missile is fired it goes into a high arc and returns to ground level D6 x 10cm directly in front of the launcher. The missile will fly over non-preferred targets and any terrain. If it descends onto a preferred target you can explode the missile immediately and work out damage as normal. Otherwise the missile travels D6 x 10cm during each subsequent first fire phase. If a 6 is rolled the missile has malfunctioned, move the missile D6 x 10cm and then explode it. Otherwise, move the missile the full movement, it can make any turns during its movement. The missile can be detonated at any point in its movement. Missiles in flight can be shot at only at a range on up to 25cm by troops on first fire. </quote>

So the 35cm is not arbitrary but ~the average of d6x10. In the old rules the missiles could move even less, could be shot at and would mlfunction at launch if you had rotten luck, like I usually do.

Jyrki Saari

-There is no such thing as free lunch because eating takes time and time is money.