[NetEpic ML] Re: Epic Rules

From: Robert Heitkamp <robert_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:09:38 -0700

Luca Lettieri wrote:

> I should also add that many new units were subsequently added in
> some issues of White Dwarf and Citadel Journal, along with their
> specific rules. Some of them are rather fundamental, like almost all
> of the flyers. To make a long story short, spare yourself many
> headaches and just use Netepic rules, which are better,
> comprehensive, and free.

I've actually got all the White Dwarf articles and supplements, although I
do agree that NetEpic is much better organized. I bought all the old 2nd
edition rules for background material and reference.

After playing NetEpic, I'm not completely happy with the rules. Nor am I
happy with the 2nd edition rules. There are several features of the 1st
Edition Rules I really like, such as the separate to hit / damage rules for
infantry and vehicles.

The biggest let-down with the 2nd Edition Rules (and NetEpic) is how short
the games are. I can't see how you can play a game that will only last 2-3
turns and expect to really get much of a strategic experience out of it. It
seems that the entire game is based on the initial deployment and a few dice
rolls. Don't flame me for this as I don't want to start an argument about
the faults of any particular system. We each want something different out of
the rules and what works for one person doesn't work for another.

I'm in the process of writing up a modified set of rules (as is everyone it
seems) that will incorporate the best of the 1st and 2nd edition rules as
well as NetEpic. I was originally basing my rules on Advanced Squad Leader
(Avalon Hill), but decided I really don't have the time to convert all the
Epic units to the ASL system, so I'm just making minor changes to the Space
Marine rules instead. I just needed some information on how to organize the
rules I have, and I appreciate the feedback you have given me.