RE: [NetEpic ML] RE: Command unit targeting Part III

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:37:42 -0400

Hi!

I gave much thought to the "HQ problem" and I don't like all the
fiddly-ness that is coming out with the current proposition.

I wondered how to solve it and as many times before Heresy game me a
clue on how to handle it.

Now, the main issue with HQ units in the battlefield is that they are
difficult to identify. In fact HQ's go to great lengths to hide the fact
they are command units. Of course being close enough to identify them is
one solution but from a game mechanics point of view there are too many
loopholes (as in the current rules). Another way is to "hinder" or make
difficult the ACQUISITION of an HQ unit as a target. The Net Epic rules
gives you several ways of doing this (morale checks, penalties to hit,
etc), but none offer the same level of difficulty to ALL armies (for
example if you required a morale check for firing at an HQ then armies
like SM would benefit too much). So, one would have to institute a rule
that is absolute in the sense that it affects ALL armies equally.

The idea that I came up with uses the "to hit roll" as the choke point.
The rule would read thus:

HQ unit units may be targeted just like any other unit, but since it is
difficult to identify and pinpoint such vital units correctly during the
confusion of battle the to hit roll to successfully hit a HQ unit is 9.
That means you need to roll a 6 followed by another 6 on a second die.
This to hit number is UNMODIFIABLE. It's unmodifiable because the
ability to identify a HQ unit is dependant on the units capability to
make that distinction and not how accurate the weapon is. Note this
applies to ALL weapons, even those who don't have a "to hit" roll. The
only scenario when the "9" rule does not apply is when the HQ unit is
actually the closest unit to the firing detachment. In other words if
you are fortunate enough (or your opponent is foolish enough) to have HQ
close to you (more than any other unit) it fair game. If its not the
closest then its real hard to hit.

Advantages
1. It uses the same rules in place, nothing special has been made. You
have LOS to an HQ unit you can shoot it, but with a to hit of 9 if its
not the closest.

2. It eliminates ALL fiddlyness in the apply the rule, nor do we need
interminable examples for different situations. If it's the closest
unit, target normally, if not use the "9" rule.

3. It affects all armies equally, it doesn't matter what weapon or how
good a "to hit" the unit has you still need a 9 to hit.

4. It does not needlessly penalize armies heavily dependant on HQ units
like IG or orks. Rolling to straight sixes is hard, a chance of one in
36. Meaning for every 36 attack dice you get ONE hit, assuming the HQ
unit doesn't save. You don't even need to play a battle to test this,
just grab some d6's and roll a bunch of times and see how many "9" to
hit rolls you get. The difficulty insures that this will not be a common
event since excessive shooting at HQ's at those odds will lose you the
game (those attack dice are best used elsewhere). Also it promotes
maneuver to get close to HQ's to take them out, as it should be.

5. It's damn simple, only two things to remember.

I'll let others determine whether there are any disadvantages to this.

Peter