HQ targeting Part IV

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 23:42:19 -0400

I've seen a number of good ideas, and a number of ways they could be
exploited by an unscroupulous player. Let's take a step backwards and look
at the problem a little differently. Instead of putting hard-to-remember or
easy-to-twist targeting rules, let's improve the HQ's survivability. How
about a minor targeting restriction on the HQ, then allow other units to
'take the bullet' in case the HQ is hit.

Headquarters: HQ units represent a small number of important people and
therefore receive some protection from being shot by direct-fire weapons.
Unless the HQ is the closest unit to the firer, you have to roll a "6" in
order to assign attack dice to an HQ unit.

+++++ This makes it hard, but not impossible to target them even in a
crowd. There should be some examples that show buildings & transports
aren't protected by this restriction.
+++++

If an HQ unit is hit (and fails any appropriate armor save), the defending
player may have another unit 'take the bullet' and remove it instead. The
substituted unit must be within 6cm, be of the same pinning class as the HQ
and does not get an armor save. Non-physical psychic weapons negate this
ability.

+++++ This means you have to kill everything within 6cm of the HQ before it
dies - which is the concept we've been working on for a while. And it gives
HQ units a good reason to stick close to their troops.

This substitution takes place after all attack dice and armor saves have
been resolved, just before casualties are removed. That is, you take all
other casualties away, then anyone who's left can save the HQ.

Let's see how this idea flies with people. I can give examples if it'd be
useful.
-Yar