Re: [NetEpic ML] HQ targeting Part IV

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:22:53 -0600 (MDT)

Peter Ramos wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I like Weasels idea for several reasons:
>
> 1. No artificial restrictions. You want to shoot at a HQ unit? Go ahead
> 2. Penalty for failure. When you do decide to shoot at an HQ you must
> balance the fact of potential gain with potential loss. If you don't
> make the targeting roll you lose that detachments fire.
> 3. Equal for all. Since you can only target on a roll of six al armies
> are affected equally no one is "better" at HQ hunting than the other.
> Also once the targeting roll is successful you hit at the units regular
> to hit roll. This adds some strategy on exactly who you select to fire
> at a HQ
> 4. Gives value to sniper unit. With this rule snipers like ratlings have
> new purpose and meaning, since their targeting roll is lower. It's
> actually beneficial to bring these units.
> 5. No extra clarifications. This appeals to me the most since I don't
> have to make special exceptions for buildings, vehicles or anything
> else.
>
> Peter

What about barrages?

A thought:
On a direct template weapon (ie a barrage that has not scattered, a flamer
template), the attacker rolls the target aquisition die (of 6+), if he fails
the defender may swap the HQ with another unit within 7.5cm and of the same
pinning class before the attack actually occurs.

This represents the attacker thinking he knew where the HQ was ... but
was actually wrong.

The big disadvantage is that it allows the defender to move his HQ around
when it's not his turn.

DarylL