Son Of HQ Targeting

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:22:06 -0400

Ok - I'm a bit confused here. As I understand it Weasel, your idea is: 'You
have to roll double sixes to target an HQ and lose the fire if you don't.'
Please correct me if I'm not understanding something. For the basic 5+
To-Hit roll this works out to 1-in-108 shots fired at an HQ will hit.
Firing at an HQ is completely worthless.

You object to my idea of: 'target on 1-in-6 and they transfer damage on
5-in-6' because "Its next to impossible then". The odds are in fact exactly
the same, but you get more casualties my way.

I believe the term is "irreconsilable differences." :)

We agree that we want to make it difficult, but not impossible, to target
an HQ. I think we also agree on the 'you can target an HQ normally if it's
the closest unit, or more than 10cm or so from other things is it's pinning
class' - let me know if I'm wrong on this.

Looking back, I agree that my ideas have been on the complex side. Let's
drop them along with the 'take the bullet' concept, and impose a -3 To-Hit
penalty for hitting HQ units? This would affect both direct fire and
templates, so ordinary troopers would need a 8+ and a Whirlwind barrage a
7+. That's 1-in-18 for a basic trooper - difficult but not impossible.
Snipers would use their normal To-Hit roll (personal comment: we *should*
fear snipers).

+++++

I remember someone (rightly) knocking a hole in one of my proposals by
saying 'that makes it too easy to knock out all the SHQs.' Before anyone
brings that up again, let me explain a few of my ideas on Chain of Command.
I'll get into it later in the armies discussion, but it seems needful to
outline now.

First, I think a CHQ should be able to give orders to a detachment if it's
within coherency (6cm) - this allows a commander to bypass a dead SHQ.
Second, I'll be proposing a new order (Reorganize) that lets a detachment
select a new SHQ.

With those changes I don't feel that it's too easy to break the Chain of
Command with the HQ targeting proposal above.
-Yar