[v5.0] Re: HQ units the weasel way

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:02:41 -0400

Weasel, I think we're almost in agreement. Let's see how close we are.

>The text uses the term model since this was my original idea. It may be
>changed to detachment if thats better.
>
>If a model wish to fire at a HQ unit, the player declare so when allocating
>his fire dice for the detachment. Roll 1d6 for each model attempting to fire
>at HQ units.
>On a roll of 1-5 the fire is lost and have no effect at all. The model wil
>lcount as having fired.
>
>On a roll of 6 the HQ unit can be targeted normally, and the fire is
>resolved using standard to-hit rolls and rules.
>
>Exceptions:
>
>Barrage weapons: Roll a d6 if there is any HQ under the template. On a roll
>of 1-5, the barrage will only affect non-HQ units. On a 6 all HQ units under
>the barrage is affected as well.

I agree with this. I'd prefer your origional proposal of only one roll per
detachment instead of per model, but that's a minor point. Looking over
this, I've an idea. Same effect, simpler to remember:

"HQ units have a 2+ fixed save in addition to their normal armor save."

Think about it: it's the same effect. Roll a 1-in-6 or the shot is lost.
Much easier to remember, no worries about templates, buildings or whatever.
We'd need to include an explination that it's from targeting restrictions
rather than invulnerability (for people who haven't been following this
discussion), but I think it'd work.

In order to prevent HQs from being nigh-invulnerable, we'd need a limit:

"This fixed save is negated if the HQ is either the closest unit to the
firer, or more than 10cm from friendly units of the same pinning class."

How about it?
-Yar