RE: [NetEpic ML] Necrons

From: Steve Kerry <steve_kerry_uk_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 08:47:04 +0100 (BST)

> I thumbed it through and... cried. With each new
> codex GW is returning more and more to the horrible
> old cheese days. The monolith, for example, is
> equivalent of a teleporting Land Raider with a lower
> cost. The C'tan are positively horrible.

Yep, it's called Codex Escalation. Each army has to
be bigger and better than the one before. It started
back in the good ol' days of Rogue Trader (anyone else
here old enough to remember when the Harlequins first
came out in WD105?) and has never stopped. They plug
the new army mercilessly, giving it better stats and
more abilities than anyone else, and allowing it to
sidestep numerous rules. Then six months later they
push it aside to promote the next new army, who are
even better and can ignore more rules. And on, and
on, and on. Finally the whole game reaches critical
mass, it is blatantly unplayable, and everyone who has
been playing for more than 12 months is sick and tired
of the whole merry-go-round. So GW brings out a new
edition, all the old Codices (and some of the old
minis) are tossed in the bin and it all starts again.
At first, the game seems fairly balanced. Then a new
update comes out, a new Codex, new minis with new
abilities, and it all starts happening again.
Playtesting? I don't think they bother with that any
more. Just hype the new army to death, milk it dry,
then move on to the next one.

Sorry if I sound a wee bit cynical, I've been playing
Warhammer for some 20 years now and I'm so sick and
tired of this cycle. I don't want to buy a new army
every six months, I just want them to leave the damned
thing alone and stop 'improving' or 'streamlining'
their games! NetEpic is an oasis of good ideas and
common sense, in a sea of shortsighted corporate
greed.

Steve