Re: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Fliers & AA (long)

From: Zerloon <zerloon_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 14:56:47 +0200

I don't like your rules.
It's well done and surely worth, but make flier no more than flyng tank.
Your opinion about speed are probably right, but in my mind there are some
thing that are irrealistic but is how should are.
Below there are ohter comments.

> Skimmer: ignores terrain, can make Pop-Up attacks. Ends movement
> either
>grounded or at low altitude.

Why? Skimmers fly few meters above terrain, and fly ever, not by jumping.

> Flier: ignores terrain, can't make Pop-Ups, counts as a skimmer for
>pinning purposes. Ends movement grounded, low or high altitude.

Why? Flier should fly high and at no other altitude.

>And introduce a new barrage:
> Tactical Air Strike: A lot like orbital barrages but not as many
> barrage
>points (maybe 2 or 4). Only an HQ or Elite unit can call one in. Not free
>(maybe 25 points) and limited to one per company. Perhaps two types to
>distinguish between anti-infantry and anti-armor ordinance. I'm open to
>ideas here.

Disagree, there are no need of another barrage.

>+++++ From now on I'll be using the term "flier" to refer to everything
>that used to be a flier, floater or thruster.
>
>As with buildings, fliers have a number of unique characteristics:
>
>1) Altitude: Fliers can be at three altitudes - grounded, low or high.
>Skimmers can be grounded or low.
> Grounded: You can't land in woods or other inhospitable terrain,
> but you
>can hover over buildings and such. If it's a transport, troops can get on &
>off. You might not be able to fire all your weapons - see the unit
>description.
>
> Low Altitude: The unit is somewhere between treetop and skyscraper
> high,
>and gets LOS cover from forests and buildings. Only fliers, skimmers and
>jumpers can engage it in Close Combat.
>
> High Altitude: The unit is a long ways up. Pretty much everyone can
> see it
>but you add 25cm to the range of any ground units firing at it. Only other
>fliers can engage it in Close Combat. Template weapons have no effect.

Isn't too onerous track all the altitude? I'm an Eldar player, with this
metod I should literally cover table with counter for my skimmer!!

>2) All-around Firing: Even though fliers are in the vehicle size range
>they don't have a limited arc of fire.

Disagree, they should have the 180 firing arc

>3) All-Around Armor: Fliers are build to take fire from all directions and
>do not suffer from side or rear armor penalties.

Agree

>4) Shoot The Thin Part: Flier attacks come from above and get that -1 TSM
>'side armor' bonus. We can either put it here in the rules and try to
>remember it, or just change all the unit stats when we go over the army
>lists. I'd prefer to put it in the stats, with a note as to why the TSMs
>are so good.

Disagree on the stat modify, mostly 'cause the bonus does'nt apply to a
couple of target, like infantry and titans and "all around" armored target.
I'll add that shot from above (flier, infantry on building, pop up attack)
have the bonus like flank attack.

>5) Drop Things: Some fliers can drop template weapons during movement. The
>attack is resolved immediately and the flier then keeps moving.

I don't like resolve immediately, place the barrahe and resolve as first
thing in the first fire phase.

>+++++ Fliers have a number of characteristics that used to be different but
>aren't anymore:
>1) Close Combat: Now it's just like any other unit - if you can pin it,
>you can fight it.

Disagree.

>2) Orders: No longer do they have different meanings. We might want to
>specify that you can't change altitude on First Fire, but that's about it.

Agree, more simple's better.

>3) Can't Shoot Me: Now anyone can target a flier normally. Like I said, be
>prepared to lose fliers.

I disagree. Flier are always in the very first line, if anyone could shot
flier we must be preared to lose fliers at first turn.

>+++++ And since I'm revamping fliers, I'll go over AA units as well. Part
>of my goal here is to make AA units attractive as a precaution, and useful
>even if your opponent doesn't pick any fliers or skimmers.
>
>Unit special ability: Anti-Aircraft (AA)
>
>AA units are build to track and engage long-range, fast-moving targets.
>They function poorly when trying to target something in a high
>background-clutter environment (on the ground) but are highly effective
>against skimmers and fliers. AA units have the following special rules:
>
>1) If they're on First Fire orders, they do not suffer a -1 penalty for
>Snap Fire.

Only against flier I presume.

>2) They have a 360-degree arc of fire.

Agree.

>3) Their shots have the ability "Damages Buildings". This is partly
>because they really are limited area-effect weapons, and partly to make
>them useful against something other than fliers.

Mmmmmm this should be noted an weapon. I don't think Eldar firestorm (a
volley of laser) can damage building.

>4) They suffer a -2 To-Hit penalty for firing at ground targets. This does
>not apply to any really big target, like things that use a Hit Location
>Template or buildings. Most To-Hit rolls will be 3+ and 4+, so this simply
>discourages firing at ground targets instead of making them unhittable.
>
>+++++ Let's not worry about "either ground or flying targets" - you can
>split dice, but the shots fired at ground targets have that nasty -2 penalty.

This sounds good.

>Ok, feedback time. What do you think? Did I miss anything?
>
>-Yar

Surely you don't miss anything, your was a very great work!!!!

Zerloon