RE: [NetEpic ML] RE: Unit Point Costs

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 18:21:30 -0400

Hi!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jarreas Underwood [mailto:jarreas_at_...]
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 6:16 PM
To: netepic_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [NetEpic ML] RE: Unit Point Costs

After seeing the discussion on cost standardization, I've decided to see
what I can do to update Birol's math-based analysis and integrate it
with a
usefulness-based cost. Before I start, I'd like some feedback on a few
of
the ammumptions I'm making.

Thanks! You're efforts are much appreciated!

 1) I'm going to concentrate on Imperial, Eldar and Ork troops. These
are
the ones I have the best 'feel' for, and if we agree on a system for
them
we can extrapolate to the other armies.

Sounds good.

 2) Most armies have something unique about them, and a corresponding
disadvantage. I'm not going to consider these when creating specific
costs
- units will be analyzed in the absence of anything around them (like
Hive
Mind or Command Radius). If you think that the army is unbalanced
because
of their bonus / penalty, let me know but let's take that up as a
separate
discussion. The army list is at the end of this email.

You don't need to change everything if it "feels" just about right,
perhaps concentrating on units that are /high/low costed is more
effective.

 3) I'm going to try to stay at or near existing costs. What we've got
now
works well, and I don't want to change things if I don't have to. I'm
doing
this so we can identify 'broken' units and fix those, not overhaul the
entire cost system.
 As a side note, I'm going to round costs to the nearest 50 points. I'm
lazy and I don't like the miniscule work that counting in 25's creates.
Before you jump all over me, I will include a 'rounded to nearest 25'
column in my price list. We can vote on which to make official later.

<grin> Yes, what you said. Although I warn you people like their 25
point increments......

 4) I'm staying away from Titans. I'll analyze just about everything
else,
but Titans have too much variation and too many special rules. The
existing
weapons can be broken down, and perhaps the hull cost extrapolated from
that, but I have the feeling I'm going to be leaving that for someone
else.
Especially when you consider trying to analyze Gargants and
Bio-Titans... ugh.

No worries, if you can get something workable with the rest, I'll
extrapolate for those units.

Peter