Re: [NetEpic ML] 5.0 review

From: Lorenzo Canapicchi <lorenzo.canapicchi_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 17:11:57 +0200

Weasel Fierce wrote:
> My couple of cents worth regarding point costs:
>
> Why do systems have point values ?
> Theres plenty of rules that do not have them, many historical games, also
> games like Stargrunt.
>
> Then...whats the purpose in them ?
>
> To create a fair and balanced game where each player have equal chances of
> winning.
>
> Now..if the point values are not fair and balanced, it will give trouble.
> Not only do you have units that are cheaper than their power suggests, but
> you'll also have units that are too expensive and thus, not very usefull.
>
> Also remember, that point costs affect victory points directly.
>
> This means an underpriced unit / company will award fewer victory points to
> the opponent and thus further unbalance the rules.

Absolutely not, for this reason you need to playtest your army, you can
balance things giving and take away, designing a game it's not simply to
give all the armies equal "power", epic it's _very_ different from a simple
wargame or Risk Play, you have pro and cons, it's a complex game.

> Also..when a new player sees the rules, they will definately frown at the
> underpricing of things like (random example) the wind rider host.
> "These guys are pretty cool, why are they so cheap?"
> which quickly leads to discontent with the rules.

Ah! newbies, better a chaos spawn :o) BTW a green must learn game after
game, if he think that some Army it's more powerful just swap your army
lists ang give it the worst defeat in his life (happened to me)

> If we bother having a point system, it should be fair and reasonable. Units
> should cost what they are worth, because thats the idea of a point cost
> system !

no, you forget the context.

> Basing costs on rarity does not work. in that case we should lower the costs
> of the land raider and leman russ, since they are the most common tanks in
> their respective armies. On the other hand, the Razorback is pretty rare, so
> it should cost a lot more.

things aren't so simple, and this is the reason for this list IMHO.

--
Lorenzo Canapicchi
TXT e-solutions S.p.A.