RE: [NetEpic ML] 5.0 review

From: Weasel Fierce <weasel_fierce_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 12:03:05 +0000

My couple of cents worth regarding point costs:

Why do systems have point values ?
Theres plenty of rules that do not have them, many historical games, also
games like Stargrunt.

Then...whats the purpose in them ?

To create a fair and balanced game where each player have equal chances of
winning.

Now..if the point values are not fair and balanced, it will give trouble.
Not only do you have units that are cheaper than their power suggests, but
you'll also have units that are too expensive and thus, not very usefull.

Also remember, that point costs affect victory points directly.

This means an underpriced unit / company will award fewer victory points to
the opponent and thus further unbalance the rules.

Also..when a new player sees the rules, they will definately frown at the
underpricing of things like (random example) the wind rider host.
"These guys are pretty cool, why are they so cheap?"
which quickly leads to discontent with the rules.

If we bother having a point system, it should be fair and reasonable. Units
should cost what they are worth, because thats the idea of a point cost
system !

Basing costs on rarity does not work. in that case we should lower the costs
of the land raider and leman russ, since they are the most common tanks in
their respective armies. On the other hand, the Razorback is pretty rare, so
it should cost a lot more.

Just my couple of cents.

Weasel