Re: Sv: Sv: Sv: Sv: RE: [NetEpic ML] GW vs Epic questions

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:07:21 -0600 (MDT)

rune.karlsen6_at_... wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using psychers has nothing to do with religion in my book. Its
> when you start calling people "priests" or such and believe that
> a deity is behind the technology that we are talking religion.
> I can understand that the technology has been lost for millennia,
> but even then a fairly evolved race will recognize the difference
> between religious writings and actual technical descriptions.

< cut some stuff >

I was always under the impression that much of imperials "big" technology
(warp engines, void sheild generators, etc.) was effected (at least
somewhat) by the psychic field they were used in. So praying
that the warp engines didn't break down ... might very well keep
the warp engines from breaking down. Since there were quantifiable
results that occured from placing the trappings of religion around
the use of some machinery ... it became codified as standard
Imperial doctrine. (i.e. "The captain will now lead the crew in
prayer for the continued function of the warp guidance computer",
removing the gargoyles from the Imperial battlecruiser results in
the shields failing 20% more often, etc.).

Over time this spread out to machinery that had no warp connection
(i.e. praying that your bolter will continue to function).

Just a random thought,
Daryl