RE: [NetEpic ML] Heresy Rules Query

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:52:55 -0400

Hi!

Here's that initiative scheme:

The morale rules in Heresy are quite detailed and robust so I don't have
to change anything about them to add the scheme. Instead of automatic
activations you would roll to see if the battlegroup can act. The
formula is simple:

D10 + battlegroups current morale + Leadership bonus of commander (if
any) = 9 or more the group is activated.

For example a battle group of SM with a current morale of 7 and a leader
bonus of +1 would automatically activate the first battlegroup (+8 and a
minimum die roll of 1 gives 9).

On the other hand an IG battlegroup with a current morale of 5 and no
leader bonus would activate on a roll of 4+ (4+5=9).

A failed activation means that:

1. The player cannot activate further units that turn
2. The battlegroup that failed the activation may only move up to its
standard move, it cannot fire or initiate assault combat (although it
can defend normally).

Note some armies battlegroups may activate automatically under some
circumstances, for example orks activate automatically if they are
charging into assault combat.

A player may retain the initiative in the same turn by attempting to
activate additional battlegroups. Each attempt beyond the first incurs a
-2 penalty.

For example and IG player decides to activate a second battlegroup of IG
heavy weapons to clean the way for an assault. The morale is currently 5
with no leadership bonus. The player would need to roll a 6 or more to
be successful (6+5 (morale) - 2 (penalty for extra activation) = 9).

It is clear that an army like SM will move a lot more units per
activation than would say orks or IG.

Peter