Comments about the New Version of NetEpic

From: Vladimyr <aallen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 19:45:49 -0500

Hi there,

        The discussions of late on the validity of such a large revision have been
quite interesting. It is interesting to note that a lot of the polls that
decide these issues have not had a great deal of votes in them. Yet the
e-mails have flowed bountifully.

        While I must confess I have been fairly comfortable to sit back and watch
these discussions go on, as I have many other things that are going on at
the moment that are requiring a lot more time and effort (unfortunately), I
have tried to participate in the polls at the very least.

        I do have a disagreement with the way certain things are being projected.

        From my understanding (originally), the purpose of these polls was to
determine rules for an ALPHA edition of the new set of rules. Some people
are acting like these rules will be concrete. Which, I'm hoping, they are
not.

        Once the Alpha rules are determined (through the polls and discussion) I am
hoping that there will be a chance to playtest these rules as a whole,
before they are set in stone. And that it will be a decent amount of
testing (not just a couple of games). Because if it's not, then these
changes (and there are many - regardless of whether they are optional or
core) will change the game in a way that people won't like and may not work
the way it looks like they will.

        Which brings me to my other point. Why the comparison between the new
version of netepic and the newest version of 40k. I don't understand that.
The new rules for the blood angels are based solely on that from what has
been discussed so far. NetEpic was made to move away from the mistakes made
in Space Marine and salvage what was left of it. So why keep it in line
with GW's current line of thought? Why not use 2nd Ed. 40k rules? They are
certainly more in keeping with the earlier versions of Epic/NetEpic.

        And why the rush to incorporate some of the new rules from E.A. Not only
is that treading on intellectual copyright toes (I can't see how GW would
approve of adapting rules from a game they ARE going to release) it changes
the rules of NetEpic in a fundamental way.

        Which may or may not be good. But a lot of this depends on how much of a
chance all of us are going to get to playtest and give feedback. Some of
the discussions seem to say we will, some seem to say we won't. And some I
fear, are just going to be stubborn either way.

        NetEpic improved on my favorite game. I'd hate to see that hard work go
backwards because of lack of playtesting, petty bickering or any number of
other things.

        I'll stop raving like a madman here. Don't want you all falling asleep.

MrFlibble