RE: [NetEpic ML] Comments about the New Version of NetEpic

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 09:50:31 -0400

>I've always wondered what sort of stipulations GW placed on NetEpic. I was
>worried that adapting rules from EA might be enough for GW to close NetEpic
>down. Which would be a shame. I don't know if that is something that would
>need to be checked or not.
>
>MrFlibble

I've wondered that myself. I don't know, and I'm reasonably certain that if
they're contacted we'll be given the official line of: "You can't use our
ideas." I'm of the opinion that if we acknowledge that all the concepts are
theirs, and we never ever try to sell anything, they'll gratiously ignore
us. The "don't make waves" theory of intellectual theft - as long as we're
actively spreading interest in the 40k universe without cutting into their
profits, they'll leave us alone.

Also, I've seen an incredible number of web pages dedicated to 40k, with
copies of the rules, most of the codexes and tons of fluff taken directly
from published GW material. They're much more on the grey side of
intellectual theft than we are, and as long as they're around I'm not all
that worried about Net Epic getting shut down. It's when all the private
sites start to dissappear that we need to worry - like all the D&D sites
when TSR got on it's high horse.

I'm not sure how the new Epic Armageddon will affect this, as we may be
seen as direct competition. I hope not, but this is GW - you never can tell
which way they'll jump. Peter, you've been in much more contact with GW
folks than I have - how do you see things?
-Yar