Re: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Army balance

From: darius spano <dmanspano_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 05:26:07 -0700 (PDT)

I think your summary is good but I can't wholly agree
on your 2 points. You are comparing "apples and
oranges". You can see that the average infantry from
army A is better/worse/same as the infantry from Army
B. That's how you make a direct comparision between
like units (apples & apples). It's more abstract
(apples & oranges)when you throw all the units
(infantry/tanks/etc..) of Army A and compare Army B.
If all armies were equal I guess it would come down to
dice rolls more than tactics. Every army I play I take
a lot of fast attack units and infantry because that
is my play style (Orks, SM, Squats (lots of bikes) and
Tyranids (infantry--swarms of it)) I forego the
artillery except for the squats (great artillery) but
I still take heaps of bikes to race to the objective
etc...How you play and use your army is important and
point costs often help direct the building of your
army. If I want a shooty army I will have fewer units
in general or if I want a fast mobile CC army it will
have a lot of infantry/cavalry and fewer armor units
but larger on the whole.
On your second point that points cost need to be
comparable and that armies have their own balance. I
kinda agree with this that each army has its own
balance.
Anyway for the summaries of the armies we need to add
the strategies for each army.
PDF: Hang on help is on the way.
SM: Quick surgical strikes aimed at grabbing key
objectives and holding onto them.
IG: Pound the crap out of them there's more of us than
them.
Eldar: Very fast strikes that can keep moving.
(their artillery lacks range but is quite good. The
Wave serpent is a dual role unit artillery/transport).
Orks: Go!Go!Go! Large attack formations that warm
objectives.
Chaos: Keep on moving towards objectives and the
enemy.
Squats: Pound'em from afar and clean up with bikes &
trikes.
Tyranids: Keep on moving towards the enemy and make
sure to deny him the objectiives. Swarms.
Slann: Go for objectives while laying down suppressing
firewith superior fire power.
Hey, I don't care about the numbers I just like
talking about the armies.
Darius

 it dead on, "the uniqueness of each army"