RE: [NetEpic ML] Poll results for netepic

From: Vladimyr <aallen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 20:03:20 -0500

Hi there,

> Allies have always been permitted under GW epic rules. Net epic never
> made any official ruling on this leaving it up to players to decide, now
> it's been voted on and there is a clear majority.

And in most cases, allies were at 50%, not the 25% here.

> I understand the impact it has on the game. For many years I played
> against armies with allies and am well aware of the challenges they
> offer. While it offers a challenging game it's hardly overkill, much
> less so to an experienced players. It does leave a "bad" after taste
> though if you haven't played against such a force before.

I'm used to fighting allied armies myself. And the only fault I ever came
across were certain people who would only take the good things. Cheap
company cards, five thunderhawks, squat specials, etc.

> I suggest TWO restrictions, addendums to the rule, to keep it civil and
> balanced are:
>
> 1. NO special cards are allowed as allies. This keeps titans and most
> other "goodies" that don't belong as allies.

This one I disagree with most definately. Allies are just that. Allied
forces. In fact, an allied force may indeed be more likely to be the
opposite, especially in the case of a Titan Legion or a mobile Squat force
(a brotherhood in a leviathan).

> 2. NO repeats of company cards or support cards. This one eliminates
> bringing "too much" of a good thing, since allies would send small
> amounts of things.

This one makes a little more sense ruleswise, but it also seems a little
limiting. Limiting a force to just one of every type of support card may
prevent the cheese, but it also prevents having an allied force designed for
a specific purpose. Examples are an eldar bike contingent, a space marine
devastator force, chaos beastmen force. And that's just the tip of the
iceberg.

I suppose neither of these really seem to work for me.

I don't think that allies should be limited within this scope. Granted,
allies can be chosen in a 'cheesy' fashion. But then, so can a straight
army.

I still prefer the original. Allies are treated as a seperate army and are
picked using the same rules as for a normal army. The 25% value voted on is
much better than the old 50% and should remove most of the problems with
allied armies simply because of points restrictions.

MrFlibble