[v5.0] Armies & Allies

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:27:57 -0400

>Is everybody willing to do ten different types of
>Squat army? or ten Craftworlds? or ten Tyranid bio-critters
>variant mutations?

Well, yes, actually. I'd been planning on splitting up the Eldar and Orks
into a half-dozen different army lists each, and Chaos into five or six.
And no, I've no intention of writing it all myself, or even a significant
portion. The Renegades book alone details five Craftworlds, and I've
bookmarked web pages on both Dark Eldar and Exodus Eldar. That's seven
right there. There are four major Chaos powers plus renegade warbands.
That's five more I've got fluff for. If you want diverse Squat material I
guess I could snag some names from Tolkein. *grin*

Now that we've got lots-o-armies, we need a way to purchase them that A)
makes some sense, and B) doesn't make it easy to cheese-out. *smile* I know
folks will try anyway but I'd like to make it a bit harder.

So what we need is a general rule that can handle 'straight' armies, allies
and the diverse army construction methods. Here goes:

+++++

How about we split army lists into two kinds: Standard and Unique.

  Standard would be most races as they are now - Imperial Guard, Space
Marines (probably Ultramarines as the default), Eldar, Orks, Chaos and the
like. They'd contain all the units that anyone could take, and none of the
specialized things like Ravenwings or Weirdboy Battletowers.

  Unique would be the special Chapters, Craftworlds, Clans, Chaos powers
and the like. They'd be made up of all (or most) of the the Standard
choices plus a number of things that no one else could have.

When you build your army you have two options: Standard or Unique. If you
play Standard you must put 50% of your points into that army list, and you
may put the other 50% into any other Standard army list (allies). If you
play a Unique army you must put 75% of your points there and the rest can
come from any other Standard list (again, allies).

Of course there'd be exceptions, and those would be described in the fluff.
Such as Tyranids - no one can ally with them, Eldar could only ally when
facing Chaos, Ork Clans can ally if there's a Warlord present, and so on.
But that's minor - this whole structure is what I'm proposing. Yes, it'd
take a bit to get the army lists put together this way, but I think it's
quite doable and I'm willing to try. It gives a Standard army the option of
more allied troops, and Unique armies the bonus of special troops. What do
you think?
-Yar