RE: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0]Iron Hands Counterproposal

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:27:43 -0400

>>>Then why do they care about SW blood claws?
>>>
>>I've pictured these guys as howling fanatics in addition to
>>
>There are different kinds of fanatics.

And that brings up the question of, should *anyone* get morale, fear or
other bonus based on reputation? I'd argue not. The only morale-affecting
abilities should be based not only on what you look like (or act), but also
require you have some sort of supernatural or psyker aura.

Most Chaos Card descriptions aren't that gruesome, but I picture them as
also having a tangible aura of warp, chaos and evil - *that's* what forces
a morale check, not just your enemy looking even more nasty and
tentacle-covered.

>I'd give the vetarans a +1 to their save and no regeneration. If they were
using the robot rules then, as said above, dreadnoughts should use them
also. The Iron Hands do _not_ replace the brain with bioplastics.

I agree, but I need a disadvantage to counterbalance the better armor
and/or regeneration. Acting like a machine was an idea I had - since you
don't like it I'll try other suggestions.

>>from breaking your Seige,
>>for everything else.
>
>I don't agree. You already pay for the extra troops
>in the point cost; there's no need for additional
>penalties.

You *always* pay for the troops you get. The advantage is the fact that you
have a larger company and larger break points. That's what needs to be
balanced out.

The increased break point suggestion was intended to balance out both the
increased armor save and the increased company size. My reasoning is that
you're getting more, and better, troops, which are more valuable to kill.
That's why the increase only applied to the companies that got the
improvement in the first place.

>As for the artillery; the advantage should be paid for in points (+50 or
even 100 to the IG cost) and availablity (Special cards).

I disagree here, too. One of the assumptions in my cost analysis was that
you pay for the unit's abilities. That's it - an Ork and an Eldar and an IG
trooper all have the same abilities, so they cost the same. Same with
everything else. Restrictions on the unit due to the flavor of an army
should be balanced by advantages elsewhere in the army, not in the unit cost.

The advantage that the IH have here is being able to take small amounts of
artillery. Any marine army over 2400 points can take an IG artillery
company as an ally - 25% of 2400 = 600 = artillery company. The Iron Hands
can take artillery as support cards, which get the marine morale and lose
the chain of command.

This advantage needs to be balanced out. One idea is points - I don't like
that one. Another is to make them Special Cards - I can live with that. How
about they take up two Support Card slots? Count for double VP's?

>>Your troops are harder to replace,
>>thus worth more
>>to the enemy for killing
>
>Are they any harder to replace than standard marines?

Yes. You have to take a standard marine, then add lots and lots of
cyberware. It may be harder to damage (represented by a better armor save)
or easier to fix (regeneration), but complete replacement *does* require
more resources.

-Yar