RE: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0]Iron Hands Counterproposal

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:04:40 +0300

There are space marines (Ultramarines) and then there are space marines (Flesh Tearers)...

> Unless the IH have
> something extrodinary, over and above this, ther shouldn't be a bonus.
> "kills one in three of a rebel population" Ok - that's enough
> to give a
> morale bonus against, say, PDF and IG troops who know what
> you can do, but
> Eldar may not have even heard of you and Chaos won't care.

Then why do they care about SW blood claws?

> If
> you're facing
> a Khorne army they might well be even more eager to fight
> you. That's my
> problem with powers and abilities based on reputation - not everyone's
> gonna be affected the same way. I vote against this - let's
> simulate it
> with VP conditions instead.
>
> Regeneration: The basic marine is already partly bionic and surgicly
> enhanced with special organs, bone & muscle implants and the
> like. Adding
> more isn't gonna add a lot 'till you get to a mostly-machine
> body, and I
> don't see that hapening to every single trooper in the
> Chapter - at least
> not at first. Let's limit it to Veteran / Terminator troops, or give
> everyone a +1 Armor Save instead. Maybe both.
>
> Larger Company: You're adding 33% more troops for 23% more
> cost. Um, no
> How about 33% more troops for 40% more cost - the increased
> break point is
> valuable on it's own. 1200 points seems a lot more fair.

I can live with this.

> Disadvantages: The tech-chaplain can't affect allies? Wah.

Inquisitors & co. can't affect you. Your commanders can't affect other Imperial troops.

You can't have: tactical companies, assault companies, devastator companies, veteran companies, terminatorcompanies or scout companies. Or doesn't this rank as a disadvantage?

> +++++
>
> Counterproposal:
> I like the concept of a siege-oriented Chapter, so let's keep that. We
> already have a clan-oriented Chapter (Space Wolves). I also like the
> concept of a highly bionic trooper, so let's give special
> bonuses to their
> veterans.

A matter of preference, of course. Personally I like a bit different looking clan-chapter.

> Rep: Fearsome, but no effect on the battlefield. If you've
> gotten to the
> battlefield the enemy's already made it's morale check and
> will fight as
> normal. Players may agree on a suitable effect if it seems
> appropriate.
>
> Regeneration: Veterans, Terminators and all special characters have
> regeneration on 5+.
>
> Better Armor: Due to their increased metal composition, Veterans,
> Terminators and SC's have +1 to their armor.

5+ regeneration and increased armor? Wow.

> Larger Companies: Instead of Battle Companies they have Seige
> Companies.
> They're larger as proposed (8 troops per detachment) and may
> take certain
> Support Cards that aren't normally available (like seige
> artillery). They
> cost 1200 points and are worth 18 Victory Points.

18VP??? In that case it should have 75% break point, normal rule of thumb has been 1 VP for every 100 points.

> Victory Point bonus: In order to promote ruthlessness, Iron
> Hands score
> VP's both from objectives as normal and as Tyranids - normal
> for breaking
> enemy units and again for wiping them out. This should insure a few
> senseless massacres.
>
> Disadvantages:
> 1) If your opponent isn't purchasing any fortifications you may not
> purchase Seige Companies. Note: the PDF free fortifications
> *do* count.
> 2) The Vets & Terminators are mostly machines, so they have to follow
> written orders like robots.

Note: their brains aren't affected; compare to dreadnoughts which are even more machines.

> 3) Your specialized troops are much harder to replace than
> regular marines
> - your opponent gets 50% more Victory Points from breaking your Seige,
> Veteran and Terminator Companies. Normal points for everything else.
> 4) No allies.

4) is OK. I could live with 3.

Jyrki Saari

-There is no such thing as free lunch because eating takes time and time is money.