Re: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Blood Angels proposal; forgot something

From: dlonnon2000 <dlonnon_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 22:28:19 -0000

--- In netepic_at_y..., "Millett, George" <George.Millett_at_b...> wrote:
> Well, thank you very much. It's very interesting to note one
attitude among
> the listmembers. Namely, "Oh, I do support changes as long as
anything
> doesn't change."

:-)

I'm not sure that's it. I believe Yar has proposed a fair number
of changes to core rules, IIRC he stated he wasn't too hot on
that particular change. I'm not sure you can call him a reactionary.

I think it boils down to themes.

It's probably common knowledge, but each of the Space Marine
chapters has a theme. These themes aren't just close combat
oriented, siege oriented, etc. Rather, (most) are based on
mythology/history.

Ultramarines: Knights of the Realm.
Black Templars: ... Templars (ie religious fanatic knights).
Salamanders: The firey mythological creature of the same name.
Space Wolves: Nordic Wolfmen (ie werewolves).
Blood Angles: Vampires.

I personally feel that their special abilities in netepic
should match their theme. I'm not 100% clear as to how super
charged engines goes with Vampiric. If someone gave me
a good reason though ... (I'm not sure I'd buy that Vampires
have super speed, so Blood Angels vehicles need super speed).

Now the Death Company makes sense, the Sanguine Priests make sense,
if you want to propose a company called The Children of
the Night (a company made up of giant wolves, and devil bats and
commanded by a single Assault Marine) ... I'd be all for it.
But super charged engines just feel a little out of place.

With that said, apparently it's in the W40K rules for Blood Angels;
so I'm not 100% opposed to it going into optional rules ... just
find it a little weird. I think GW "screwed the pooch" on that
one, and I'm not sure we'd want to carry their thematic mistakes
into netepic.

Just some random thoughts,
Daryl

p.s.
FYI, my take on the Children of the Night Company (300 pts)
Do to their progentors geneseed, some Blood Angels find they
can communicate telepathicly with the certain creatures of their
homeworld. These marines often organize the more dangerous
creatures into packs and command them in battle.

2 detachments of 5 stands Giant Wolves (use fleshhounds of khorne
models or rat swarm models),
1 detachment of 5 stands of Devil Bats (no idea what to use as a model
(bats from warhammer quest?)).
1 stand of Assault Marine/Handler.

Giant Wolf/Rat
Move: 20cm
CAF: +2
Special Abilities: Infiltrate, must be on charge orders.

Devil Bats
Move: 20cm
CAF: +1
Special Abilities: Skimmer, must be on charge orders.