Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: [v5.0]Marine revision part n: the final scraps

From: peter cornwell <petecorn_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:56:29 +1000

antichrist666it wrote:

> --- In netepic_at_y..., <jyrki.saari_at_n...> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > Bear in mind that (fluff at hand) Assault Marines are _always_
> > > deployed to a planet in one of two ways: Drop Pods or
> Thunderhawks,
> > > and this should IMHO be reflected in NetEpic too.
> > >
> > [snip]
> >
> > What fluff? Where? At least I haven't seen it. Besides, they need
> something to transport them between battles; Thunderhawks may not
> always be available since a chapter has a limited number of those.
> >
> > Jyrki Saari
>
> In each and every GW battle history I've read Assault Marines are
> already deployed (_without_ Rhinos) or drop from low
> orbit/thunderhawks. Still it's not clear what they do when the battle
> is over... I think t-hawks are used to lift them to orbiting
> battleships, or they fly to the nearest SM base.

I know they have a good close assault factor - but in theory - why would
you waste a valuable Thunderhawk transporting troops
who are already fast moving? It surely makes more sense to get them to
the area in Rhinos and then they can hop into place on their own. You
can save the Thunderhawks to get slow moving troops to a part of
the battle that they couldn't otherwise get to. Points wise you've already
paid extra for the Assault marines movement - why not use it. One of the
reasons other troops aren't more expensive is because they move slower.
Get them to the right place straight away in a Thunderhawk and it's like
getting extra movement points for free.

BTW if the Thunderhawks are full of Assault marines - how do the
Dreadnoughts get to the battle? They can't fly by themselves - maybe they
CAN fit in Rhinos?

Peter Cornwell