RE: [NetEpic ML] [v5.A] Imperial Guard Army Book

From: <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 09:07:02 -0400

> You seem to have deleted certain army cards,
> however, like Predator company from IG and
> Leman Russ company from PDF. While I can
> understand the rationale behind this I'm very
> reluctant to "do the GW" and remove units which
> someone may be using in his army.

So do I - but for me, that feeling only goes so far. I've detailed my reasons
in the "Core Armies v5A" file and I'll quote here:

Roughriders in the PDF?
For one thing, the PDF needs a cavalry arm. For another, I'm assuming that
military forces on a planet are limited by some sort of Imperial Edict so that
a governor can't stage a really successful revolt. It makes sense to limit the
good stuff, but horses have a huge number of non-combat uses. It makes sense
to allow scratch-built and emergency forces to have large numbers of riding
animals, hence the Roughrider Company Card. Give 'em a break - they're the
PDF.

The Predator Tank, or "Why did I take away the Predator Company Card?"
It's better than the Leeman Russ - it's just as fast and well armored and has
three range-75 guns vs the Russ's two. I'm ignoring CAF and range-15 guns as
tanks are built for long-range battles and I'll take a 50% increase in
firepower anyday. I've yet to lose lots of tanks in Close Combat and I've
never taken a Russ Company. The Russ is touted as the IG main battle tank and
should therefore be either cheaper or easier to obtain. Instead of fiddling
with the weapon mix I'm fiddling with availability.

The Leeman Russ Tank, or "Why did I take away the PDF's Company Card?"
Much the same reasoning - the PDF has access to lots of second-rate equipment
(Mammoth tanks) and far fewer of the good ones (Leeman Russ). That's what
defines the PDF - if you want the good stuff, you have to get it as Support.
If you give the PDF access to lots of good stuff, it's just the Imperial Guard
with a new name.

> The format is really nice and the section
> defining terminology is an excellent addition.
> The mixing of IG and PDF is a bit confusing to
> me but this may just be a matter of getting
> used to.

Thanks. I put IG and PDF into the same book so that I'd only have to explain
the Chain of Command once. Nobody else has it and I've wanted to combine the
two army lists since I first saw 'em.
-Yar