IG Beastmen

From: Maksim-Smelchak <max200_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:21:21 -0700

>>> Being there from the 1st edition isn't automatically good, and IMHO
Beastmen are bad. Saying >>> "how can anything be out of flavour for an army
that includes units from every human world >>> that doesn't raise a SM
chapter and then has to fight in every form of terrain and climatic >>>
condition" potentially justifies any kind of weird/cheesy unit I could
imagine.

On the other hand, Beastmen are a little like Squats in that they were one
of the units that got "rooked" by the change to Epic-40k. I really liked
them and felt that they put a lot of character into the SM-2 universe. Their
"beastliness" also left a campaign manager a lot of fun choices (i.e. maybe
Beastmen won't be availible after a certain point in the campaign). They
were also a wonderful cheap unit useful as fodder in much the same way that
Snotlings / Grots served for the Ork army. I used them to clean up mines
(the hard way like the Soviet penal units in WWII) and other "undesirable"
tasks. I feel that Beastmen are one of the things that keep NetEpic a cool
game that doesn't abandon its' players. Of course, I could also be a
Beastman proponent because I've built some and plan to build some more (I
don't play Chaos so my Beastmen are IG).

Cheers,
Maksim-Smelchak.