Re: [NetEpic ML] Thoughts on Chaos/Chaos army list

From: <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:39:08 -0500

Hi,

-->Salutations!

The winter has finally come to the North, it's the greatest of times!

-->Must live in an apartment and take the bus to work. 8)

I feel it is neccesary for us to start out with a discussion on how chaos
should be viewed! What do we wish chaos to be? What is Chaos USP?

I've always regarded Chaos as a slow moving close combat Army, however
latly
it has embrace almost every aspect of the game. It can either be a rapid
deployment force like Eldar and SM, It can be a slow moving CC force like
Tyranids or orks, or it can be a shooty army like IG, Squats and Slann.
All
nicly wrapped up in the 3 army lists we have today.

-->The nature of the Chaos army depends heavily on which power is
dominate. A khorne-y army is going to be a CC monster, weak against
artillery and shooty armies, a Nurgle army is more "balanced," yet relies
on steady movement, and can be CC'd by a faster army with a good CAF
(Eldar aspects), and Slaaneshi army is too high to remember to fight 8P,
and a Tzeentch army is weak in CC, relying more on Chaos powers and
flyers.

I think se need to work out the chaos undivided list first and then see
if
we really need to make separate CSM and Cultist army list. IMHO a good,
solid, back to basic and balanced Chaos list should give the player the
opportunity to focus his army in the direction desired without corrupting
the balance of the game.

-->Chaos undivided is, more or less, the generic portions of the Chaos
lists. These are units any GD can take as minions, and represent the
genral flotsam and jetsam that washes up in the Eye.

As I said I regard Chaos as a CC army, albeit their lack of good
transportation opportunities. This is compencated by partly large number
of
troops in a detachment, and really good CC values. They are also equipped
with ceirtain equippment that will protect their advance. Tzeench towers
will give them cover, Plague tower and Lord of battles wil soak up
incomming
fire.

-->It's this sort of min/maxing that we're trying to curb. Can you
honestly see, fluff wise, Tzeentch towers supporting a LOB and a Plague
Tower advnacing across the board? While it makes great tactical sense,
does it make good chaos sense?

For me this is the essence of chaos! I believe the balance problem with
caos, arises with the Marines. This is because the Marines are so
different
in nature from the rest of the army. This I believe can be solved in two
easy steps.

Firstly let the Marine legions become special cards that the primarcs
could
take with them into battle. However, in order for this to work properly
we
should check to see if ceirtain other Chaos engines could be classified
as
special cards also! For instance Banelord Titans, Firelords, Contagion
Plague Engines and Slaanesh knights.

-->I still say keep the old rules on this. The Legion is a minion card
for the Primarch only, and while it counts towrds the minimum minion card
count, it does not count against the minion card max. It keeps the
"advantage" of using the primarch over any other GD.

Secondly increase the price of rhinos for chaos from 50 to a 100 or even
150
points. And of course deny Chaos Thunderhawks.

-->Keep the Rhino's where they're at. See my other post as to why. And
as for the T-Hawks, what is the big deal? They are Heresy era vehicles,
and as such Chaos should have them. Besides, they're not all that great
or powerful IMO. All you need to combat them is a single good AA unit
and it's toast. In 10 years I have yet to see one survive past the
second turn, even when using multiple T-Hawks.

 Comments please!

-->I think I covered that.

Nils
Lord of Winter

-->Do I complain to you about the weather then?

Josh R

"No matter where you go, there you are." B.Bonzai