[NetEpic ML] Re: Let the Revision begin!!

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:36:59 +1100

At 12:52 AM 12/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
>How many Heavy Weapons do not have an anti-infantry mode? The only one that
>I can think of is the LasCannon and its variants (darklance, brightlance).
>
>Missile Launchers have Frag Missiles, Plasma Missiles, etc.
>AutoCannons already shoot out a slew of rounds at the enemy
>Large Plasma Weapons use a template anyway, so it is reasonable to treat
>them like area effect weapons when infantry are the target.
>Heavy Bolters are already like machine guns, plus they have HellFire rounds
>(name?).
>Big bore Tank guns (Battle Cannons) have HEAT, HE, MPAT shells that they can
>use when faced with infantry.
>Volcano Cannons shoot such a powerful blast of energy it most likely
>incinerates anything near the impact point.

All too true.

>This also goes back to how much time is represented in an Epic turn. If my
>Marine LasCannon gets 4-5 shots in an Epic turn, you probably have 3 dead
>infantrymen. These casualties would probably make a five man squad
>ineffective on the battlefield. With a weapon as powerful as a LasCannon,
>it probably doesn't matter if you are hiding behind a wall, etc., the
>LasCannon will probably still retain its killing power after vaporizing the
>wall.

Brian, you said what I have been thinking about this whole thing all along.
 Alot of people make the assumption that an Epic turn is the same length as
a 40K turn. I don't think it is. I think it runs for anywhere from about
40 minutes to an hour (or even longer). In that time a Lascannon or other
Heavy weapon could reduce an infantry squad to ineffective status. All you
need is to incapacitate at least 3 members of the unit.

>Basically, we have people proposing that we add weapon classifications to
>the game, or multiple saving throws, etc: For a single weapon! Epic has a
>long history of adding special rules and/or modifications to individual
>units, etc. If we have to differentiate between LasCannons and all other
>Heavy Weapons, it would be much preferable to just say LasCannons are -1 to
>hit infantry, instead of adding a bunch of useless stats to the game.

Yes. Or even better, leave this as it is.

>In conclusion, almost every weapon has an anti-infantry mode, and modifying
>the game for this single weapon system, seems like wasted effort. If
>LasCannons are the only weapon this applies to, I will probably not remember
>the modifiers, extra stats., or the different weapons classifications.

Thank you. Someone said it at last. You've hit the nail squarely on the
head for me.

-Kelvin....

         "Of course I'm paranoid!
       Everyone's trying to kill me."