Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: Thoughts on Chaos

From: <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 14:33:57 -0500

I would disagree... why would they reprint all of the background stuff
they
already typed in new books and make people pay for things they already
own.
People would have bitched about that too.

-->People did, lots of people. It drove many people away from the game.
40K is effectively dead in my area. Anyone who was a regular player
stopped when the v3 codexes came out. There used be a very active 40K
crowd around here, but v3 killed the vast majority of interest. No more
tournemnts, no more campaigns, nothing. Local stores only stock the
minimum now.

Read the Tau and Necron books.. they might be thinner but its there.

-->The Necron stuff was just reprinted from WD, when the original v2 list
came out. So I do include the necrons. I don't care much for the Tau,
as they don't really fit, and the availability of models is next to nil.
I do like how we have incorporated the Necrons with the Slaan, but I am
of the opinion that the Slaan lists are over blown.

*shrugs* I dont defend GW a lot, but I think its valid in this case. Just
my
couple cents.. its not worth arguing about, and each person is entitled
their own opinions.

-->Unfortunately, it's bad game design. By trying to cover every
possibilty, we create a mishmash of stuff that has no cohesiveness, or
focus. It actually detracts from the over all effectiveness of the
system. Look at GURPS, great idea gone horribly insane. It covers
everything, yet it is a rather unsatisfactory product on the whole. As
has been pointed out before, game design by committee doesn't usually
work, especially if it's a large committee. The range of opinions gets
too wide, and too diverse to effectively design a game, and keep it
focused. The tangents grow too many too fast. We get bogged down with
every special case we can think of, which over burdens the rules, and
creates too generic a system IMO.

Weasel

Josh R
"No matter where you go, there you are." B.Bonzai