[NetEpic ML] Re: Merry christmas.....

From: Nigel Tam <sgms656_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 12:38:07 -0500 (EST)

> This is just a little mass mail to everyone.

Likewise a reply to everyone, though I have never met all
of you. Me Nigel, me in London.

> Also, I got a little something for you to think about: It
> is a true story though it sounds unlikely.
> In 1914, (the first year of world war one) at christmas
> night somewhere on the western front something strnage
> happened: Late in the night, troops from both sides
> spontaneously stopped firing at each other. The weary
> infantry men crawled out of their trenches and began a slow
> walk towards the middle of the no mans land between the
> trench lines. Here the soldiers sat down and began to sing
> christmas songs, singing in their respective languages.
> Afterwards the they wished each other merry christmas and
> then went back into their trenches and pciked up their
> rifles again.

I think the important and vitally missed point here is that
the soldiers all stopped for a game of football. (That's
"soccer" to you Americans and Australians). It says
something about the power of football, methinks.

Happy New Year, especially all those people who like me are
already back into fourteen hour working days and have
realised that EVERYTHING is still exactly the same.

Nigel