RE: [NetEpic ML] Question: How Netepic avoid copyright issue with GW

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:00:54 -0400

Hi!

-----Original Message-----
From: amuro_ray_nt [mailto:amuro_ray_nt_at_...]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 2:22 PM
To: netepic_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [NetEpic ML] Question: How Netepic avoid copyright issue
with GW

Thanks, Peter,

Do you mind if I copy your message and repost it to the MOW yahoo
list?

>>Sure, just remember they are suggestions not dogma.

You do outline the basic concept very clearly on copyright issues
etc. But I still do have questions: It is the use of terms and names
like Space Marines, Eldar, Tyranids etc in the rewritten rules.
Clearly those are GW's property, and they do not create a problem??

>>That's why you post the disclaimer, for using their IP in the context
of your own creation. Remember though, if they do have a problem with
it, you are obliged to remove it. A little known fact is that netepic is
prepared to remove all GW IP and substitute with "homemade" names, if
there were ever a problem. You may keep this ever present and as a
backup plan if it ever happened to you. I must say though, up to now, GW
is pretty sporting about this as long as you don't abuse the privilege.
They don't mind fan based material, but don't cross any of the major
points I mentioned in the first post.

For MOW rules rewrite, we are thinking about a group effort (that's
why I would like to repost your message to the MOW list), that way we
can share the effort, blame and burdern...

>>That how netepic did it. Its very hard work though, so do don't assume
things just "get up and go". The first edition took a year to create and
make available over the net. So it's a long process.

You do mentioned about no guarantee on GW telling to get it off etc.
Do you have any experience/stories on that? I am trying to reference
Netepic, since it is now on it's 5th edition etc. And how to creep
back into existance after a cease or decease action from GW...

>>Anecdotal reports and testimonials from others to which this has
happened abound on the internet. All of them have to do with using their
pictures from rulebooks and such, scanning codexes and offering them on
the net and other similar things.

>>In netepic's case we have NEVER been ask to "desist", because we try
to keep from dong those things GW does like, after all, they have a
right to protect their IP. By the way there is a section on GW's website
that takes about their IP use guidelines. My points stem from theirs,
you should read it.

http://www.games-workshop.com/Legal/ippolicy.htm

Since it seems you questions are beyond simple IP stuff, more like how
do I start NetMOW?

Recommendations

1. A group of dedicated players who will stand and deliver. Talk is
cheap, so the saying goes. It very true in this type of endeavor. You'll
get many "offers", but you need people who "put their money where their
mouths are". This may seem like a simple step, but it's a very important
and crucial one.

2. Organize. This means to lay down a plan on how the work needs to be
done and whose going to do it. You need someone to coordinate it or
oversee things get done. You'll need people to compile e-mails, edit the
work and a webmaster for the technical aspects of offering it online.

3. Broad participation. It's easy to just write it yourself and give
your personal spin on what MOW should be. You'll find you are but ONE
opinion in a sea of individuals. Before anyone sits done to write
anything, you should discuss amongst yourself what needs to be
changed/added/modified. It's a hoot to argue...er..um..discuss points of
view.

4. Have fun. Remember, you don't get paid for this. So you must obtain
enjoyment from the process as much as the result, otherwise its wasted
effort.

Thanks, this gives us a lot of hope :-)

BTW, just call me Ken :-)

Good luck Ken!