Re: R: [NetEpic ML] Squat codex

From: Angel <angel_stranded_at_...>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:25:29 -0000

> Including
> dreagnoughts would be a nice idea but maybe not everyone agrees.

Is there any reason why Squats should NOT have dreadnoughts?

> Maybe the solution would be a new ruling for tunneler transports or
allow to
> substitute them for a tuneeler FO which cannot act as artillery FO.

How about an optional unit then? A tunneler FO whose main purpose is
to guide the tunnelers to the right location, in the same way that an
artillery FO guides indirect fire. Stats and description would be
the same, but they would be attached to a tunneler unit (and could
therefore be purchased as a tunneler support card).

And on that subject, what is the point of having a troop transport
car on a Hellworm when you can't buy troop detachments to go in it?
If you want to take an army composed entirely of tunnelers, you can't
use your support cards to buy any infantry so there's no point in
buying extra moles or termites in the first place!

Proposal: support cards for tunneler companies may include as many
infantry detachments as can be carried by the tunnelers.

> Have you actually read the codex squat armies? They are at the
> end of the document and are exactly the ones you are talking about.

You mean the Commercial World army? They can take everything,
including Titans! I was thinking of a band of Squat Outcasts (I'm
trying not to use the word Renegades since that has Chaos
connotations) who roam from world to world, fighting and looting as
they go. Squat Pirates, if you like.

Squat society has a rigid structure with clans, leagues, guilds and
brotherhoods. Inevitably there will be those who leave this
structured society, either by choice or through exile, and sooner or
later these Outcasts will come together. They are anarchists who owe
no allegiance to anyone, and who wander near the fringes of society
where there are no laws to tell them what to do. They are nomadic,
and their vehicles (looted or traded from pretty much anyone) form a
temporary town when they meet. They will trade with anyone except
Orks.

For inspiration, watch the Mad Max (Road Warrior) movies and throw in
a handful of Hells Angel bikers. Support them with entries from
Scrapheap Challenge (Junkyard Wars) but use a typical battlefield as
their supply of bits. Their nomadic lifestyle means they don't have
any heavy equipment, the whole army must have a minimum move distance
of 20cm (infantry may be carried in/on anything suitable). 25% of
their vehicles may be looted from other armies, but only one support
card per company may be Eldar.

Does that sound reasonable/playable/fun?

Steve