Re: [NetEpic ML] Tau army list

From: Kelvin Henderson <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 08:31:12 +1000

>ARMY COMPOSITION
>Like other armies the TAU army is limited to 5 Support Cards and one
>Special Card per company level card fielded. However, you may not
>combine TAU and KROOT units. Only TAU support cards may be added to TAU
>company cards and vice versa.
>
>The KROOT have a slightly different army structure. When a KROOT Support
>Card is added to the company, instead of having a separate break point
>the total company break point and victory points are increased. These
>formations make all break tests and morale checks as a group and not
>separately.

>support as so the fluff suggests?

I agree with this. I would prefer to limit the Kroot to support in the Tau
list.

>DRONE UPPGRADES
>The Tau fire warriors rely on drones to boast their firepower or to give
>them extra protection. For each Fire Warrior detachment in your army,
>you may purchase one drone upgrade. Note that you may not select to give
>any one detachment more than one upgrade! The Drones are counted as
>support cards.
>Gun Drone, if you purchase this upgrade you may fire one additional shot
>for every stand in your detachment. If a stand is killed you
>automatically loose the extra attack for that stand. Note that the
>drones do not add to the breakpoint of the unit, however they will
>increase the victory points for that detachment.
>Shield Drone, if you purchase this upgrade the detachment will receive
>an extra saving throw from ranged attacks. Whenever a stand is hit and
>killed you may roll 1d6 on a roll of 5 or 6 the stand is saved! Note
>that this saving throw is fixed.

I think Gun drones should be purchased as Support cards. As to Shield
Drones, they are normally attached to commanders, so perhaps the Ethereals
should be given a 5+ fixed save as a result? I've never seen any Ethereal
leave home without two Shield drones. Also, the Drones are listed as being
armed with Pulse Rifles. They are actually armed with Pulse Carbines and
should be adjusted accordingly.

>TAU PATHFINDERS
>These troops are the eyes and ears of the TAU army. They move onto the
>battlefield in front of the main army. They are armed with Pulse
>Carbines/marklights. The pathfinders can chose to either fire at an
>enemy unit or to use the marklight. If they use the marklight chose a
>target and fire as normal. If you score a hit place an
>order marker (upside down) beside that unit. For the remainder of that
>turn, any other TAU (Not Kroot) unit firing at the marked enemy unit may
>add +1 to their to hit roll.
>(Mminis Eldar or IG infantry or UNSC infanty from GZG)
>ability like SM scouts?

Absolutely. They do in the 40K list.

>XV88 BROADSIDE BATTLESUIT
>These are the heavy support units of the TAU army, the Broadside is
>equippet with a pair of very powerfull Rail Guns and a smart missile rack.

Geez. The Smart Missiles have a short range! Only 25cm!! They should be
at least 50cm. They have a same range as the Pulse Rifles IIRC.

>TAU ETHERAL
>The Etherals are the ruling caste of the TAU society. They command the
>utter devotion, loyalty and sacrifice of the TAU.
>
>Powers: All TAU (Not Kroot) units within 10cm of the TAU Etheral are
>completely immune to all types of moraletests, and never receive
>fallback orders. All other TAU units within LOS may add +1 to their
>moral rolls.
>However, if the TAU Etheral is killed, all TAU units within LOS must
>make an immediate morale check or go on fallback orders.

In the list it is listed as being supplied with a Hammerhead as its
transport. Say what? Should that not be a Devilfish? And what are these
Pulse Pistols the Ethereal is armed with? It should have no ranged weapons
at all!

>VEHICLES
>
>DEVILFISH
>This is the workhorse of the TAU army Skimmer, may carry 2 stands.
>
>HAMMERHEAD
>This is the TAU MBT. Built on the sucsessfull Devilfish Consept exchanging
>the cearrying capacity for more heavy Armour/weaponry.

 From the Forgeworld range, we are missing the SkyRay. It is the AA
version of the Devilfish and uses Seeker Missiles.

Also, I don't like the stats for the Barracuda. It is armed with an Ion
Cannon, two Burst Cannons and Seeker Missiles. It carries NO bombs. Where
do these "Ion Bombs" come from? And where is the Ion Cannon in the stats?

>SUPER HEAVY/PREATORIANS
>
>KILLER WHALE

I think a better name for this unit would be the Swordfish or the
Stingray. Killer Whale just sounds clumsy and besides, the Tau already
have a dropship called the Orca (which is the name for the Killer Whale).

>What it is unit, where does function does the vehicle called "tiger
>shark" have?

Yes. The Tiger Shark is missing. As is the Orca Dropship from the
Forgeworld range. Possible stats:

Name Move Save CAF Weapons Rng Dice To
Hit TSM Notes
Tiger Shark Flyer 3+ +2 Ion
Cannon 75cm 2 5+ -2 Transport (4 stands of Gun Drones)
                                         Burst
Cannon 35cm 3 5+ -
                                         Seeker Missiles
50cm 3BP -2

Orca Dropship Flyer 5+ 0 Burst
Cannon 35cm 3 5+ - Transport (6 stands), Burst
Cannon Turret

>MANTIS CRUISER
>These are actually Space ships, may times the size of a Thunderhawk. It
>is armed with extremely long range Rail Gun and use ion Cannon
>batteries for medium range attacks. It is a pretorian size skimmer, and
>may carry a full
>company of TAU Fire warriors and their Devilfish transports.

Fine, only how many units can it transport? Does it get shields (this is
suggested in the 40K fluff).

>THE KROOT
>
>SPECIAL RULES
>These barbaric, cannibalistic, aliens, are the TAU empires closest ally.
>They are used as assault troops by the TAU commanders.
>
>All KROOT are basically different evolutions of the same species, some
>(THE KROOT CARNIVORES) are more successful than others (KROTOX and KROOT
>HOUNDS).
>
>The KROOT have the special ability of selective mutation. They eat their
>enemies and assimilate the part of the enemies DNA that will make them
>evolve faster. Which part of their enemies they should devour and
>assimilate, are defined by the KROOT Shapers (Elders). Strange, barbaric
>and terrifying opponents, all KROOT may
>add 1d6 to their close combat when fighting in woods.
>(Minis: Kra'Vakinfantry from GZG)
>
>KROOT COMMAND RULE
>KROOTS are by nature very unruly and stubborn creatures and they need a
>strong presence to order them properly, this presence is exemplified by
>the KROOT SHAPER (Elder). In order for a KROOT formation to receive
>orders, it must be within 10cm of a SHAPER at the beginning of the
>orders phase.
>
>When KROOT formations are outside the command radius (10cm) they revert
>to their instinctive behaviour, and will not shoot, but move towards the
>nearest enemy at up to their normal rate and will fight close combat
>normally.

Fine

All in all, a fine list just needing a couple of minor modifications.

-Kelvin....

"I feel like I am being nibbled to death by...what are those Earth
creatures called? Feathers? Go 'quack'?"
"Cats."