Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: Rule for Outnumbering

From: Mete Senyol <kume1967_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:06:16 -0800 (PST)

--- Stephane Montabert <kotrin_at_...> wrote:
> > After many years or playing this game and hundreds
> of games under
> my
> > belt, intuitively I think the best solution
> "gamewise" is two
> simply
> > curtail "ganging up" on stands until all other
> stands within charge
> > range are engaged.
>
> I think none of us can't even come close to your
> game belly :o) so
> you certainly have a strong point by definition...

This sounds good but still there can be agruements
like that stand did not really touch the base etc. and
if you have some people with the new epic stands it is
more logical to limit with 2 stands for a unit.

Your other comment for super heavies and Titans
engaging with infantry I don't believe you will want
to use more than 2 for an infantry stand.

> It seems to be a variant of the proposal #1, but
> taking attacker
> charge range into account rather than 6cm radius
> around the unit
> attempted to be outnumbered - unless I am mistaken.
>
> > Its the simplest, easiest and in my view "fairest"
> solution.
> > It means attackers will have to assault in force
> and cheese
> > tactics of overwhelming one or two stands on the
> objective while
> > ignoring nearby ones would be eliminated with this
> approach. This
> would
> > favor horde armies like orcs, IG and tyranids, but
> thats okay.
> Balancing
> > that would be small but very good units like
> terminators and eldar
> > aspect warriors which now become a more difficult
> proposition to
> > attackers since they need to be ganged up on.
>
> I agree, but I see a little drawback here. The
> examples you raise are
> valid one, with foot troops of horde armies. Since
> their charge
> movement is usually 20 cm, and since each unit is
> reasonably
> numerous, they can achieve outnumbering according to
> the rule you
> propose because the number of enemies within 20 cm
> is not too much.
>
> On the other hand, if you take a unit with a wild
> charge move (Eldar
> jetbikes and their 70cm charge range!) it means that
> this unit will
> NEVER be able to outnumber anyone, simply because
> there will be too
> many eligible enemy units within range. You have ten
> jetbikes, you
> want to assault four madboyz 10cm away, but you
> can't fight 2:1
> because there is a full Ork company 65cm away you
> should assault
> too :o)
>
> Or did I miss something?

I think you did not take into account that stands of a
unit can not be more than 6cm appart. They must have
unit coherancy.