Re: Rule for Outnumbering

From: Stephane Montabert <kotrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:54:30 -0000

Hello Dave, thanks for your input!

> Why not make it similar to the 40K version. The closest model from
> the charging unit is moved into the closest model from the unit
> being charged.
> Then, other models from the charging unit are moved so as to engage
> as many enemy models as possible in the target unit(s). Unit
> coherency must be maintained by the attackers at all times. All
> moves must be made so as to ensure that the maximum number of enemy
> models are engaged.

We are getting closer here. But I don't agree with the part "as many
enemy models as possible in the target unit(s)". You can't engage
enemy models based on how they are arbitrarily spread in different
units, because you assault models, not units. Also, in NetEpic
charges are not declarative: you don't specify a target for a charge
order. And there is nothing like a failed charge as well.

Also, unit coherency can't be maintained "at all times" because you
move models one after another - otherwise, you would not be able to
charge more than 6cm away for unit coherency. I'd rather specify that
unit coherency must be maintained between assaulting models that have
completed their move, or not mention anything at all? Dunno.

So, if I work from your proposal:

The closest model from the charging unit is moved into the closest
model from the unit being charged. Then, other models from the
charging unit are moved so as to engage as many (unengaged?) enemy
models as possible, while respecting unit coherency.

But there's nothing about how outnumbering can occur?

Stephane