RE: [NetEpic ML] Re: Close Combat discussion

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:31:36 -0300

Hi!

I wholeheartedly agree that all these alternate mechanics and ideas should
appear in the optional book.

Kenneth Peters (Heresy Co-author) and I used to talk about this a lot. We
all must understand that wargames are designed with certain philosophies in
mind, certain concepts to highlight and others to abstract. The original
second edition space marine mechanic abstracts things like suppression and
fire fights in order to get a quick resolution. It isn't perfect (I
especially like the suggestion to allow some movement after CC to re-engage
to solve some of the issues I have at the moment with the design), but no
mechanic is. Epic 40k and Epic A are designed with those things in mind, but
they suffer from other problems. It's all a trade off. Choose your poison if
you will....

That's why Kenneth and I made Heresy, to design certain real life combat
concepts in the mechanic from the get go, but even then compromises were
made.

As mentioned by Jar, its best to put these things in the optional book and
let players decide.

NetEpic is about choices after all. ;)

Peter