Re: [NetEpic ML] Eldar Book

From: Toma Diener <peyoterattle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 13:17:26 -0000

--- In netepic_at_yahoogroups.com, Jyrki Saari <mojarn_piett_at_y...> wrote:
> [snip]
> Hello. Long time no "see". :o)

Howdy!!!

> > 3) The Tempest, Spirit and Phantom Host cards are
> > available to all craftworlds, but not the Standard
> > Eldar List. This is mostly a fluff issue, as I don't
> > believe that the Eldar would loan out their rare
> > and/or heavy units to anyone.
> >

> Um, where in the fluff does it say that Tempest and
> Phantom hosts are for the select few only?

I'm with Jyrki on this one: since one of the possibilities of the
Standard Eldar list is to allow players to Craft their own World (Pun!
 Craft + World = theire own CraftWorld) the Heavy Units shouldn't be
disallowed: I would say that Exodites shouldn't have them available
except as Allies however...

I also really like what Jyrki has to propose (below): it feels like a
good direction, giving each Canonical Craftworld a Unique, 'Special'
-Company- card (expanding, modifying, and effectively replacing the
original unique 'Special' Freebie 'Support' level card): I also like
the restriction concepts: even though I don't particulairly care for
or play 40K 3rd (now 4th) ed, I really -did- like the way the
CraftWorld armies were codified and delineated in the CraftWorld
Codex: it feels aesthetically 'right' to follow GW's lead in that
direction in this matter-

> Here's what I propose.
>
> 1) Give Each Craftworld ONE unique advantage in the
> form of an unit the others can't have and which is
> tied to the background.

Expanding on your original concept: I propose a Unique Special
Company level card

> 2)Balance this with some reasonable restriction so
> there's a reason to play the standard list.
> My proposals for units:
> -Saim Hann: Wind Rider host.

This one is already our prototypical Example of a Special Company
level card as I understand it, Right?
(d-mn PDF issues: I can't see what you guys are talking about!)

> -Iyaden: Spirit host. As the Eldar view the creating
> of Wraiths as something approaching necromancy I don't
> see them being so widespread in other craftworlds
> which are not in as dire straits.

Creating a unique Iyanden Spirit host, or special characteristics for
such an animal, has my gears cranking overtime: this is one of my 40K
armies (and one of the Few I played in 3rd ed) so I understand it in
terms of tactical "feel" < ruminate ruminate >

> -Biel-Tan: create a new unit: Aspect host of, say, two
> aspect detachments and a Exarch command unit.

I think this Idea is flat out _Cool_ !
... An Aspect host, Unique to Biel-Tan...
 What a brilliant Idea!!!

> -Ulthwe: Black Guardian hosts.

Having what unique characteristics though? Reduced cost...?

> -Alaitoc: Hmm. Ranger host (special card)?

That would follow in line with this concept: a unique,
CraftWorld-specific, Company Level Special Card...

> Then the restrictions. Um, let's see... I'm sure the
> listmembers can come up with something... ;o)

 < ruminate ruminate, ponder ponder >

> Some suggestions:
> -Ulthwe: restrictions on the number of aspects?
That sounds good:
> -Alaitoc: has less guardians?

How about: No Guardian Companies (either kind;with transports or no):
only Detachments?

> -Biel-Tan: less psykers?
...doesn't feel like enough of a penalty somehow, for such a large
advantage: maybe only one psyker per army...?

T'oma

~Don't Milk that Sacred Cow _ _ _ _ _ It's BULL!!!!" me