Re: [NetEpic ML] [5.0] Eldar Storm Serpent

From: Toma Diener <peyoterattle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:03:30 -0000

--- In netepic_at_yahoogroups.com, Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_m...> wrote:

>...in the Combat Phase it can project a Wraithgate within line of
>sight and 75 cm...Opinions?

Perhaps a Suggestion:

....Remembering My Group's propensity for "Big Games" (12' or more of
Battlefield), I'd like to change the Wording to:
 "...within line of sight, and 75 cm -or- 1/2 the Table Width,
whichever is Greater."...at least as an "optional rule".

  This allows the Unit to function as a 'Fast Deployment Enhancer'
similair to HellBores or Drop Pods.

  I think this is a -really- Cool mechanic: Have we considered adding
a Similair ability to Shokk Attack Formations? It seems a Natural
Progression to me...

...remind me: Have we discussed how Big the Gate is? Can Tempests &
such pass through it?

ReB T'oma

> I compared the Storm Seeker stats to the other Superheavies, and
added 4 dice of range-25, 5+ at -1 TSM guns. Since it has no main gun
it's balanced by being the only superheavy with a holo-field.

> Proposed description:
>
> Storm Serpent: This grav-tank epitomizes the "lightning" art of war
of the eldar, as it can create a stable warp gate allowing Eldar units
quick access to critical spots on the battlefield, and the ability to
escape if the tactical situation so demands. Unlike other Eldar
superheavy vehicles, the Storm Serpend mounts a Holo-field.

> Wraithgate: Unless on Charge Orders, when the Storm Serpent is
activated in the Combat Phase it can project a Wraithgate within line
of sight and 75 cm. Place a counter to mark the location of the gate.
In any following Movement Phase, Eldar infantry, cavalry and
walker-class units may enter either the Wraithgate or the Storm
Serpent by paying the normal 5 cm to enter a transport. Remove the
units from the board, and give them their orders for next turn. In the
next Compulsory Movement Phase scatter them 2D6 cm from the opposite
end of the gate. If the Storm Serpent is destroyed while units are ?in
transit? they are lost in the warp and destroyed.

> My analysis:
> Deploy as far forward as you can (typicaly 80 cm to the enemy
deploymant zone). Turn 1 Advance 20 cm and create the gate at 75 cm
(15 cm into opponent's deployment zone). Turn 2 the SS moves backwards
and local units enter the Storm Serpent. Turn 3 allows the enemy to
react to the gate, and the transported units appear and start wrecking
havoc. Quite possibly getting charged first as the enemy knows what's
coming and where.

> My opinion: Nifty effect and useful in certain situations, but most
certainly not overpowering compared to an Aspect Warrior squad mounted
on Wave Serpents (at the same cost). In fact this combo is faster, as
the Aspect Warriors can be in your ranks on Charge Orders on Turn 2. A
one turn delay and risk of losing everything in exchange for
transporting multiple units at once. Fair enough.