Re: Exodites and Hydras

From: mojarn_piett <mojarn_piett_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 13:12:23 -0000

[snip]
> When the Exodite army book will be revised, I'd like to see more of the
> Knights and Dinosaurs as core units, and maybe infantry too. Knights
> should not be so rare, as they are not rare and lost tech. On a more
> practical ground, the miniatures are also a lot easier to find.

As the primary writer (in cooperation with Nils Saugen) of the
"Standalone" Exodite list i thought I'd peep in for a moment to share
my thoughts about the list and why I wrote it as I wrote.

First of all, as the Exodites were not officially released there were
no blister constraints in designing the units. I didn't want the
archetypical "multiples of 6" army structure. the units represent
(very) loosely medieval cavalry units.

Second, I wrote the fluff (nearly) from scratch to represent my view
of the Exodites and the availablity of the knights is from the fluff
perspective. The knights are rare not because they are lost tech but
because of a deliberate choice: only the appointed guardians (i.e. the
Royal Clan) may use them as they represent a tangible link to the
catastrophic past. They are to be used only in dire emergencies (i.e.
large scale outsider invasion) and, hence, are rare. Also, why would
you ride dinosaurs at all if you can as easily ride a knight?

Of course, there's nothing to prevent somebody from writing a pure
Royal Clan armylist where majority of units are of the technological
type. That's what Net Epic is all about. That's why I wrote the list
even though there already was a list in the Eldar book.

> Asking a would-be Exodite player to field 12 OOP dinosaurs before
> fielding any other unit is like telling that nobody except a selected
> few will be able to use this army, ever. I doubt it's the purpose ^_^

No, but there are 6mm dinosaurs & such available which are suitable
for proxies and that's what I assumed people would use. The minis are
not only OOP but NOR (Never Officially Released) so I really didn't
expect anybody to go out of their way to hunt some down.

Also, the sabretooth riders have never existed. Nor have the chameleon
dragon scouts. Or the beastmaster critters. Or the spirit dancers.

For the record, I consider the Exodite list in the Eldar book to be
the "official" one as it predates mine. The one I wrote is more of my
personal view of the Exodites and I didn't want to be restrained by
such trivial things as the availablity of minis. ;o)

> Stephane

J Saari