Re: Morale and Breakpoint for Companies, Detachments, etc.

From: ciber nyam <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 16:25:43 +0200

the test has worked, so let's try it once more.

My excuses if this reaches the list several times. it's the third time I try to send the message. It's a long time since my last post, maybe my yahoogroups user has been dissolved in acid or sent to the void or just deleted...

-------
For some strange reason, the email I sent yesterday did not make it through...

Resending
 it (see below), just adding in answer to your new question that no
support cards are affected by the company card breaking and on the other
 hand, a company detachment does not check morale util the company
breaks as a whole.

As you point out, morale issues play an
important factor as with any warfare simulation. That's why SM will
often fight to the last stand if required, while IG and other low morale
 troops have the morale factor against them and can hardly be trusted to
 keep up in the front line when attrition strikes.

Regards

c.

Hi,

I don't have the rules available right now. In any case, here are the answers to your questions:

> If one of the detachments comes under heavy fire and hits its break
 point or is wiped out, does my opponent gets the victory points for
breaking the detachment or does the whole company have to break?

-
 If the detachment is part of a company card, NO, they never get broken
 by themselves. Either you break the whole company or you don't. This
means for a SM scout company, that you can wipe out one detachment out
of three and the other two don't care (until you reach the company break
 point, which I would guess would be 10, so once you wipe out a whole
detachment of 6 and 4 more units, then the rest are broken, even if
there is a whole detachment unharmed). If the detachment was from a
support or special card, they have their own break point and VP, which
are awarded once they are broken by themselves. Note that most
support/special/free cards consist ina single detachment or unit.

>If the company subsequently breaks, do you get the victory points for
the individual detachments you broke and the points for breaking the
company?

- you get the victory points for the whole company. i.e.
 those written on the back of the company card. You will get no points
from company-atached support, free and special cards until you break
them.

> What happens to support cards that are fine?

-
 Nothing. Support cards are broken and their VP collected separately
from the company card or in other words, they are completely
independent.

> If the company breaks that they are supporting, are they also broken?

- No.

See
 if this makes it clearer: Break point and VP are always related to each
 single card, be it free, special, support or company card. Most company
 cards consist of two or more detachments which for the purposes of
breaking and collecting VP act as a single unit. Each free, special and
support card has its own break point and VP. Note that this is
completely unrelated to any hierarchy rule related to company
detachments and support detachments (e.g. imperial guard "chain of
command" rule). Note however, that there are some exceptions to this
rule:

- some support or special cards work specifically as
"add-ons" to company cards or other support cards (*usually* they are
transport detachments, although not all transport vehicle detachments
work in this way, e.g. SM Land Raiders). You will notice those cases
because they don't have a break point but a "+X" to break point and "+y"
 to VP written in the back of the card. Thus, break point of the
company/support card transported is increased, the same as VP according
to the [transport] support card. Consequently, units lost from the
[transport] support card do count as losses for the card supported.

-
 Orks clanz (equivalent to SM company cards) work in a different way.
Essentially, rules are inversed for the general case and exception i.e.
all support cards increase the break point of the clan/company and the
VP when it is broken. Some exceptional units (like most special cards or
 those madboyz) do not join the clan but operate as separate units and
have their own break point and VP. Actually, madboyz are an exception to
 the exception, since all madboyz are joined to form a single
independent madboyz mob that has its breakpoint increased as more and
more madboyz support cards are bought (irrespective of which clan they
are attached to). Anyway, they are madboyz, don't try to make any logic
out of it...

- Other specific armies may have exceptions to this rule. Read the appropriate army book.

Hope this clarified your doubts.

c.