[NetEpic ML] Re: Revision Issue: Titans

From: Joshua W Raup <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:55:45 -0500

Even though we roll the die to see if the weapon hits, those missed
shots do not just vanish into the Warp. Yes, some miss the titan
completly, landing on the battlefield somewhere. But, other shots do
not miss. They simply hit strong parts of the armor and do no real
damage. Or, they hit and damage a non-critical system. Maybe they hit
an important system, but it has a redundant backup. Shots that miss,
often really do hit the target, they just don't do enough damage.

-->true enough, but all those misses that get rolled also account for
weapon jams, misfires, dud shells, etc. My problem is conceptual in that
I just have trouble visualizing a 1/2 squad of marines pouring enough
bolter fire at say a phantom Titan, to take down a shield. Sure it could
happen, there is always that chance, but ingeneral, it's too easy for the
lightly armed 9relatively) infantry stand to take down a shield. I mean
like this, what are the chances of a M-16 taking out a T-60? Or even a
fire team with M-16's of doing so? It can be done, but how small is the
probability of it? i don't know if this warrants the changes I
suggested, but it should be looked at.

I think that all this weapons fire (including a lot the missed shots)
combines, to eventually overload the Void Shields/Power Fields. Void
Shield generators were equiped with circuit breakers, Power Fields
generators were not.

-->that's why I said what i did. or at least something like that. I
would say that after a certain point, the smaller weapons would overload
a shield, causing the breaker/generator to fail. It's an idea, not
nessecarily the right one, but one to kick around until it's dead.

Minister for General Mayhem
"Don't let the bastards grind you down." Gen. Joseph Stilwell