[NetEpic ML] Re: Eldar Holofields

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 08:25:38 +1000

At 09:55 AM 3/17/00 +0100, Lorenzo wrote:

>> I think the problem he's reffering to is: what happens if the barrage
>> template covers BOTH a Titan and some other unit? Either you scatter
>> (and so the holofield protection gets "extended" to the other unit) or
>> you don't (and the Titan loses holofield protection due to the
>> closeness of the other unit).

This is EXACTLY the situation I was describing.

>This is really a quibble IMHO, if you _must_ declare the target (I fire
>at the titan => Holofields, I don't fire at the titan => no Holofield)
>You cannot have thi s kind of situation, it's the target that implies
>the behaviour, we could say "you _must_ center your template on the
>titan if you want target the titan so end of the story, but even without
>this rule you don't place template around the table, you declare your
>target then place template, fire at the titan, you cover some infantry
>ok, who cares? some fragment could hit even infantry, this is not the
>problem, the target _is_ the titan, if the target isn't the titan ok
>holofields never works but titan cannot be covered by template dis is a
>Xor decision...

<SIGH> No offence intended here, Lorenzo, but you REALLY haven't played
against the kind of people I have. We tried this rule as a house rule
long, long ago when Renegades was first released with the fact that if the
barrage caught the Titan at all, the barrage could scatter. And the
problem became that the Eldar abused the privilage of the Holofield
protection by clustering their troops around the Titan's base. So we
changed it saying you have to note the target of the barrage, then the
Imperials started to abuse it by saying they we're specifically targetting
the Titan. Then we changed it AGAIN saying that you had to centre the
barrage on the Titan's base. Then, lo and behold, the Eldar abused it
AGAIN buy crowding the Titan's base with troops to get SOME protection from
the holofields. In the end we dropped the whole thing and stuck with the
official rule.

>> My proposal: place the barrage template without scattering, and resolve
>> hits on all units EXCEPT the titan. Then roll for scatter: if it
>> scatters off the titan model, you've missed it; otherwise resolve the
>> hit on the titan too.
>> This adds a little more work, but consider this: how often will this
>> situation come up (especially knowing you're not getting any "rule
>> loophole bonus" for it)?

This could work with the following problem: what happens to the scattered
template? Does it affect the troops it lands on too? This way I get the
effects of a Hop-Splat gun without playing Orks!

>exactly, anyway you can cut the problem at root sayng: want to target
>the titan? ok center the template on it and scatter, want you target
>infantry? ok you cannot cover the titan ... more simple and no whining
>at all

Not so simple as I described above. Its good in a way to have a person in
your gaming club who will find the loophole in every rule and exploits it.
That way you can see the loopholes coming a long way off.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE this idea, but I am just concerned about the
potential loopholes it presents. I've played power-gamers too often to be
happy about it.....

-Kelvin....

         "Of course I'm paranoid!
       Everyone's trying to kill me."