[NetEpic ML] Re: Eldar Holofields

From: Lorenzo Canapicchi <canapi_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:55:20 +0100

Luca Lettieri wrote:
> > Uh?, no I really don't see the problem, let's see what could happen:
>
> I think the problem he's reffering to is: what happens if the barrage
> template covers BOTH a Titan and some other unit? Either you scatter
> (and so the holofield protection gets "extended" to the other unit) or
> you don't (and the Titan loses holofield protection due to the
> closeness of the other unit).

This is really a quibble IMHO, if you _must_ declare the target (I fire
at the titan => Holofields, I don't fire at the titan => no Holofield)
You cannot have thi s kind of situation, it's the target that implies
the behaviour, we could say "you _must_ center your template on the
titan if you want target the titan so end of the story, but even without
this rule you don't place template around the table, you declare your
target then place template, fire at the titan, you cover some infantry
ok, who cares? some fragment could hit even infantry, this is not the
problem, the target _is_ the titan, if the target isn't the titan ok
holofields never works but titan cannot be covered by template dis is a
Xor decision...

> My proposal: place the barrage template without scattering, and resolve
> hits on all units EXCEPT the titan. Then roll for scatter: if it
> scatters off the titan model, you've missed it; otherwise resolve the
> hit on the titan too.
> This adds a little more work, but consider this: how often will this
> situation come up (especially knowing you're not getting any "rule
> loophole bonus" for it)?

exactly, anyway you can cut the problem at root sayng: want to target
the titan? ok center the template on it and scatter, want you target
infantry? ok you cannot cover the titan ... more simple and no whining
at all

^_^

--
Lorenzo Canapicchi