[NetEpic ML] Re: Template Scatter for all Titans and Holofields

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:28:08 -0800

Hi Weasel and Nils,

Hey, I like BOTH these ideas!

nils.saugen_at_... wrote:

> Well we use the following rule. On all titans, you may scatter off the
> template when the titan is on charge or advance orders, if on first fire you
> may not scatter off (just roll again until you hit something). For Eldar
> Titans you may always scatter off, due to the effect of the holofield. This
> applies to both barrage and common attacks.

I think this is GREAT for direct fire, non barrage, shots.

Weasel Fierce wrote:

> >Great idea on choosing a ramdom hit location. How do you do this?
> >Equal chance for all locations? Pick a location, scatter twice?
>
> Actually, scattering the hit location is what my group usually do. When a
> titan suffers a hit, just roll an appropriate die and count the locations
> from upper left to lower right. If you roll a location thats not there just
> reroll.
>
> For example, firing at a warlord (which has 12 locations on the front) just
> roll a d12 to find where you hit.
>
> Easy, nice and without the aiming dice (Which only veteran players have)

I like this, for Barrage attacks.

For weapons, which can fire indirect barrages, those hits would be
resolved on the front titan template. For weapons, which fire direct
fire barrages, use the template on the titan, which is facing the firing
unit.

All barrages must COMPLETLY cover a titan, to take effect. Barrage
templates, spotted by the artillery unit itself, would hit every time.
Barrages fired indirectly, using spotters, would hit about one third of
the time. Other units, hit by the scattering barrage templates, missing
the target titan, would be hit as normal.

But for Holofields, I would say that any barrage template must scatter
first, even if the attacker has line of sight. This is due to poor
spotting. The barrage template would need to cover the Eldar titan
completely, or it would be ineffective.

I think this rule, would not have the problems, that Kelvin was
discussing in earlier posts. Barrages would hit Eldar titans less
often, but when they did, it would be a garanteed hit. And a completly
random hit, as a barrage should be.

Of course, titans without Holofields would suffer guaranteed hits more
often, but only if the template completly covered the titan. The hits
would be less devestating, because they would be completely random.
Also, weapons which fire an indirect type barrage, would always hit the
front of the titan, where the armor is stongest.

What does everyone else think?

Warprat ;)