[NetEpic ML] Re: The Great Holofield Debate. Vote Now!

From: Peter Ramos <pramos2_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:29:39 -0600

Hi!

Well said! One must remeber that GW adds rules in a vacuum. They dont look
at what has been done to the rules nor the far reaching consequences. Space
Marine as it first appeared was a pretty simple game. Although the
supplements add flavor to the game each was made consistent with itself, but
not necessarily with the main game or the other supplements. Thus the many
loopholes.

Some we have managed to fix, others we sort of skipped since consensus could
not be reached.

I like Albert's approach. Holofields impede accuracy. A barrage weapon is
not an accurate weapons so holofields dont protect against them. On the
other hand why should the penetration granted by a barrage apply full
effect? By the holofields nature you cant target it accurately, whose to say
HOW MUCH of the barrage lands near to apply full damage? The barrage will
hit because it covers a wide area, but why do we assume that when an eldar
titan is hit by a barrage its caught in the center of it and thus receives
full damage from it?

I dont intend to be fiddly and suggest that the barrage do different damage
depending on if its in the center of the barrage or the edge, but holofields
DO inhibit concentration of fire.

And thus my point.....

In net epic we made concentrated barrages and open sheaf barrages. A
concentrated barrage by definition needs AIMING a thing which holofields
make difficult. Why not then rule that you CANT concentrate barrages against
them.

Think about its impact:

A. Holofields are STILL vulnerable to barrages
B. Modifiers from artillery attacks apply in full

So whats changed? Simple those nasty bombards, manticores and such which can
still ignore the titans holofields, impart their very high save modifiers
now have to do it on the merit od EACH model. What makes these Eldar killers
is that they can combine barrages they get such a good to hit that it makes
it easy to take it out. Now if each model does an open sheaf the to hit is
harder. Not because the holofield makes the actual barrage hitting any more
difficult, but because the holofield IMPEDES accurate concentration of fire.
How can you concentrate if you can effectively pinpoint the target?

There has been a lot of logical propsitions stated on why barrages do what
they do to holofields, but I beleive we missed this one.

Granted then the player may attack multiple times once with each artillery
model, but if you factor in scatter, lower to hits and such the danger is
much reduced compared to now.

I'd like to hear on this since it changes no current rule beyond
concentrating barrages.

Opinions?

Peter