[NetEpic ML] Re: The Great Holofield Debate. Vote Now!

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:50:54 +1000

At 06:29 PM 3/21/00 -0600, Peter wrote:

>Think about its impact:
>
>A. Holofields are STILL vulnerable to barrages
>B. Modifiers from artillery attacks apply in full
>
>So whats changed? Simple those nasty bombards, manticores and such which can
>still ignore the titans holofields, impart their very high save modifiers
>now have to do it on the merit od EACH model. What makes these Eldar killers
>is that they can combine barrages they get such a good to hit that it makes
>it easy to take it out. Now if each model does an open sheaf the to hit is
>harder. Not because the holofield makes the actual barrage hitting any more
>difficult, but because the holofield IMPEDES accurate concentration of fire.
>How can you concentrate if you can effectively pinpoint the target?

Hmmm. Not too keen on this one. I understand the logic and readily agree
with it, but some people don't use the Open Sheaf/Close Sheaf rules (like
my club; tried to convince them but they weren't interested). Perhaps we
could simply say that barrages fired at Eldar Titans ignore the Holofield
save, but halve their TSM (round down). Then we could include Peter's
model as an option for people who use the Open Sheaf/Close Sheaf rules.

My personal favourite out of the models proposed is random hit location on
the Titan and then scatter OR double scatter roll on the template (like the
Warp Missile which is inaccurate). Its simple, uses mechanics already in
use and avoids a lot of problems about who's hitting what, where and how.

-Kelvin....

         "Of course I'm paranoid!
       Everyone's trying to kill me."