[NetEpic ML] Re: Why all the changes? was: Flyers revisited yet again!

From: Butch Hobson <fog_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 19:44:34 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: warprat_at_... <warprat@...>
To: netepic_at_... <netepic@...>
Date: Thursday, March 30, 2000 9:08 PM
Subject: [NetEpic ML] Re: Why all the changes? was: Flyers revisited yet
again!

>Hi Butch!
>
>Your right, flyers by themselves are not SUPER powerfull. The problem
>comes in
>when you have Thunderhawks loaded up. If you don't have the fighter
>support,
>your not going to land them. This has led to a sort of Arms Race, in
>which
>both sides commit serious amounts of points to air. Too many, in my
>opinion.
>You say that your group kinda limits yourselves. How do you do this?
>We have
>tried making air units special cards, but don't like the result of this.

It's pretty much self-imposed. We all have them, but you'll hardly ever see
more than two units of flyers per side. It probably has to do with our
varying styles of play. I'm more an "infantry" player (Eldar & Marines.
I'm giving Chaos a go as this is being written). One guy *must* take his
Phantoms or Revenants. We have an "Imperial Barrage Monster" and a guy who
can just about field anything. I suppose there are just too many other
units to worry about than flyers. I use ThunderHawks as Transports and I
don't often take Thunderbolts to escort.

>As far as Space Wolves go, I would like the Terminator Great Company to
>be
>limited to 4 in any battle (There's only so many Terminator Suits), and
>the
>cost raised 50pts. I would like to see the Long Fangs reduced 25pts.
>I rarely ever see Long Fangs, because of the cost. This is a pitty,
>because
>they are a revered part of the Space Wolves.

I have not problem with limiting the amount of Termies on the field. But I
don't believe a 50 points cost increase is warranted. In Epic, Long Fangs
suck.

>I agree that a good General, can make any army work. But at what cost?
>Does this mean ONLY taking the cost effective units? I think most
>Generals
>choose units based on ability and price. So, the Dreadnoughts, Long
>Fangs,
>Terminators, Land Speeders, etc... get left at home to twiddle thier
>thumbs.

I never leave home without Land Speeders. They're just too good. If they
get shot up, oh well. Just except it and go.
I would, however, be interested in seeing the 'Speeders get a Save.
Considering they're armor (40k, currently) is as good as a Rhino, I don't
think a 5+ would be out of the question.

we now return you to your regularly scheduled program