Re: [NetEpic ML] Remaining armies

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:01:27 +1000

At 02:00 PM 4/11/00 +0000, Weasel wrote:

>i would be wary of increasing the range of the gunz. Orks arent especially
>long ranged or minded for such combat.
>Rather reduce cost than increase range

But Orks ARE long-ranged in certain aspects of the list. Look at the list
closely and you will see what I mean. Ork infantry and the majority of
their tanks are short-ranged, most of them having weapon ranges of no more
than 50cm. Now look at the Gargants. Most of the weapons available for
them have ranges of 75cm or greater. Orks love a good hand-to-hand scrap,
but they know the value of long-ranged shooty stuff too and most if these
weapons are found on the Gargants. The way things stand now, the
Mega-Gargant is crap. Sure if something gets within 50cm of it I will whip
its butt, but nothing ever gets that close. For slightly more points I can
outfit a Great Gargant BigMob with 75cm+ weapons and end up with a set of
much scarier weapons plus the bonus of multiple targets and more shields.

Sure the Mega-Gargant is a 'Klan' card but so what? I'll take another
infantry Klan thanks. The Mega-Gargant simply isn't attractive at all.
Even if we dropped the points to 1000 for it, I probably would still rather
place my faith in Great Gargants and infantry. But by increasing the range
of the GUN DECKS ONLY to 75cm, the Mega-Gargant becomes a Gartagnt worthy
of the title 'Mega'. Heck, even the model's guns in the gun decks LOOK
like they should be big and shooty. With the 75cm gun decks (8 dice at
75cm, hit on 4+, -2 TSM) and a 1500 or 1600 price tag, the Mega-Gargant
will finally become worth taking and will do what Gargants are supposed to
do: support and inspire the boys and scare the enemy. The Mega-Gargant is
the ONLY thing in the Ork list I have a problem with (and I am a fanatical
Epic Ork player).

-Kelvin....

         "Of course I'm paranoid!
       Everyone's trying to kill me."