Re: [NetEpic ML] Titan Close Combat

From: Mike <slannesh_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:45:52 -0000

--- In netepic_at_egroups.com, "Luca Lettieri" <magnus_at_i...> wrote:
> Well... I'm mainly concerned with the "killability factor". I've
read
> with some concerns the discussions on the super-duper Slann Titan,
> but
> as I know absolutely nothing about the Slann I've refrained from
> making comments. And now this thing about normal titans...
>
> You see, I'd really avoid having mega-units unkillable by anything
> except a few very specialized units, like what happens in Some
Other
> Games Which I Won't Mention Here. Basically I don't want Netepic
> falling in the old "rock-scissors-paper" trap.
>
> Mind you, we're still a long way from that situation. But I find
this
> trend disturbing. And anyway, I don't understand why a whole
infantry
> company assaulting a Titan should get slaughtered. Lots of them,
> sure,
> but all of them? Hardly. Especially if someone manages to insert
that
> grenade in the leg joints... and what if the very first wave
manages
> to do exactly that? I'd imagine most of the company would emerge
> unscated. Unlikely, but possible...
>

> Luca Lettieri

I guess it all comes down to the problem that arose in Space Marine
with infantry killing titans... you take a T-hawk with assault troops
on it... drop 6 of em on a titan... throw in a couple of whatever you
can find units for cannon fodder... and kill a warlord titan fitted
for fire support with what? 250 pts worth of units?
The point, I guess, is that Titans are SUPPOSED to be the kings of
the battlefield. Ruthlessly crushing everything in their path until
stopped by some other powerful force... I pretty much quit taking
titans all together because you got way more survivability out of
normal troops for the points... I mean it's one thing to have 2 units
of Exarchs or something trying to take down a titan in CC but at
least that's 800 points of troops trying to take down 900... but even
then.. they're only infantry... There are lots of ways to kill titans
but massed infantry swarms shouldn't be one of them... Just my
opinion of course... but I really look forward to being able to take
titans again for what they're meant for... anti armour and fire
support.

              Mike