Re: [NetEpic ML] Additional Issues

From: Peter Ramos <pramos2_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 12:09:57 -0500

Hi!

I'm not so sure about this. In my view if you don't support an attack
adequately and permit nearby support on advance to clean you out after an
assault the player didn't do his job.

I don't have a problem with this since I try to make assaults in a
coordinated and supported attacks which results in successfully attacking in
close combat.

Its a combined arms approach, if you assault a position and leave nearby
units untouched then the player gets what he deserves which is a wipe out in
the advance phase.

Remember that units on advance MAY not fire when engaged by units that pin
them. My tactic of assault it to engage the unit in close combat AND engage
nearby advance fire units as well, sort of clearing the immediate zone.

I like the combat phase where it is, because it demands thought and
coordination, to place it at the end would unbalance the game because I can
be quite careless in attacking without fear of immediate reprisal. Net epic
tends to be a close combat heavy system, to place this phase at the end just
weighs the balance more in close combats favor.

One must keep in mind that close combat is not risk free, even when you win,
you might get wiped out later. Support is a key issue.

Tips

1.When you assault a position, assault nearby units on advance too.

2. Use cover when you assault. Assault in buildings, rough ground and such,
because the to hit modifiers make a big difference.

3. Unless, you really have to, DON'T assault in open ground. If you win,
you'll suffer too many casualties. Unless the game demands it ,keep away
from objectives in open ground, use firepower, its easier.

4. Keep the opponent distracted. I usually assault at SEVERAL points close
together, that means any support either must divide fire or concentrate
against one point of attack. In either event it means one point of attack
will break through.

Peter